Puma Air Compressor / Install / On-board Air (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who has installed a PUMA air compressor in their 60? Details on mounts and wiring?

I'm looking to install the puma in the rear cargo area and presumably control the compressor on/off electrically from the dash/driver seat via relay.

Plan of attack...figure out mounting for rear bed area, install fuse panel or other power feed connection in rear bed area...run wiring from battery back to bed area...and have switch in the drivers area. Not locked on firm details, wondering what others have done. I believe there are a few threads over on the 80 section so I'll surf around over there looking too.

Looking for pictures, details on wiring, relays, switches, mounting...etc.

May or may not pursue controls from driver area..seems like a good idea though.

Last edited:
I made a mount that fit over the wheel well. Ran the power to my rear fuse block. No remote switch.
Even made a cover for it for prying eyes. image.jpg image.jpg

already have the PUMA....

How noisy is the Puma when running? That's the compressor I have my eye on. However, I'd separate the compressor from the tank and mount the compressor under the hood and use my (future) box tube sliders as tanks.

Further ideas on this is mount compressed air fittings on front and rear of both sliders to connect 4 short hoses to each tire to air back up. This would be switched off by a 32psi switch.

Now I just need more time and $!

I don't know yet on the noise...but so far my primary purpose would to be use it for airing up tires and misc crap. Later on if I were to get ARBs I would use it for that. I don't envision sitting in the truck that often with the compressor running.

Phil has anyone adapted your mount on a 60 series? just curious

Not that I have seen
I will take a 80 mount to our club meeting tonight and test fit it on a 60 series and report back:)
Will you be mounting US driver or US passanger side?

Not that I have seen
I will take a 80 mount to our club meeting tonight and test fit it on a 60 series and report back:)
Will you be mounting US driver or US passanger side?

US passenger side, let me know what you find. I'm sure many would enjoy that puma setup which all the 80' series fellas get to run

IMO, people run the Puma in the 80s series because there really is very little to no room under the hood for a York setup and even when you can make room (such as the 93-94 PAIR delete), it is somewhat of a project to fab. This is not the case on the 60. There is more room and more pulleys to use. I personally would go York for OBA on a 60.

IMO, people run the Puma in the 80s series because there really is very little to no room under the hood for a York setup and even when you can make room (such as the 93-94 PAIR delete), it is somewhat of a project to fab. This is not the case on the 60. There is more room and more pulleys to use. I personally would go York for OBA on a 60.

Curious your thoughts on how does one justify 2-3x the cost going with a York based set up?

US passenger side, let me know what you find. I'm sure many would enjoy that puma setup which all the 80' series fellas get to run

Last night with had 20+ Land Cruisers show up for the CSC monthly meeting. Maybe the first time no 60 series showed.:( Ill keep my eye for a 60 to check fitment.

I've had a Puma in my 60 for ca. 1.5 yrs and have been very satisfied with it. I was planning on OBA using an AC compressor but never could find the time or inclination to go forward with it. The Puma was an easy install. My mount is a scrap/hack job but solid and works for my purposes.

Curious your thoughts on how does one justify 2-3x the cost going with a York based set up?

I don't see how it costs more unless you are buying some sort of kit. When I put one on my 40, it was a pick and pull $20 York, a belt, a pressure switch, an air tank from a pick and pull truck yard, and some misc hoses and such. If you fab your own brackets and use pick and pull parts, it is damn cheap. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom