Pully squeal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

New to me 2011 570 with 136K on the clock. Serviced at Lexus dealer exclusively so I have good service records - none of which indicate specifically that the belt has been changed. It has had all its scheduled services so not sure if that was changed at one of the "xxx,000 mile service" recorded on the owner's website. Getting a loud squealing sound - like an idler pulley bearing going bad. Video below. Wondering if this is common and how to diagnose. Thanks all!

Yes it's common and the sound goes away and returns at times. Your at the point where it is almost time to replace some cooling parts and that pulley / belt would be on the list.

It's time for a refresh of the accessory drive system. If the water pump hasn't been done, also good time.

Whatever you do, make sure you replace the tensioner. That's part of the root issue. Idlers, bearing, and belt slipping issues, can commonly be traced back to a tensioner. In other words, don't just change the problem belt or idler, as the issues will soon come back.

I had to replace my idler and tensioner pulleys in the low 70k mile range on my 2011. Had intermittent squeaking. Wasn’t difficult. Cost around $110 for dayco stuff.

Thanks to all and sorry for the delayed reply (been traveling). On the cooling system, besides the water pump, wondering what I need to replace?? Have read that the radiators can split and should be replaced??

Here's what I'm planning to replace "while I'm in there" - would appreciate your feedback:
  • Water Pump & thermostat (OEM unless otherwise advisable) - do they both come with gaskets or do I need to buy those separately?
  • Tensioner and Idler pully (Dayco)
  • Fan Support Bracket (Aisan unless otherwise advisable)
Fan clutch seems solid (lots of roar on startup, then quiet). Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks to all and sorry for the delayed reply (been traveling). On the cooling system, besides the water pump, wondering what I need to replace?? Have read that the radiators can split and should be replaced??

Here's what I'm planning to replace "while I'm in there" - would appreciate your feedback:
  • Water Pump & thermostat (OEM unless otherwise advisable) - do they both come with gaskets or do I need to buy those separately?
  • Tensioner and Idler pully (Dayco)
  • Fan Support Bracket (Aisan unless otherwise advisable)
Fan clutch seems solid (lots of roar on startup, then quiet). Anything else I'm missing?
You can just replace the idler and tensioner pulley if you like…all that other stuff isn’t necessary unless it’s broken. This isn’t like a 100 series where you have to change the water pump and (timing) belt every 85,000 miles.

and swapping the belt, idler, and tensioner pulley, if I remember correctly, is really easy. You can remove the engine covers and do it quickly with basic hand tools.

Like what highfructose said, add to that drain and fill the rad.
If you decide to go deeper....
The plastic heater hose T's., PCV. You might want to change the spark plugs at this point. Might be a little easier. IMO.

I just had to replace the belt tensioner/idler on my 2013 that has 75K miles on it. It was squealing intermittently. I would take care of it sooner rather than later because every time it squeals, your belt is sliding over a locked up pulley until it starts spinning again. Mine was only doing it for a short time, but my belt was fairly slick and glazed looking inside from it.

I wouldnt worry about anything else unless its broken.

Yup gotta change that tensioner and idler pulley. Mine is doing the squealing too every once in a while. Will eventually get around to it. 2009 with 196k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom