Pulling the F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background - 1970 FJ40, original f engine. Refreshed, rings, bearings, seals, etc. Ran it with the dizzy not seated, bummer. Trashed at least one con-rod bearing, pulling motor to look at the rest of the carnage.

Can I remove the bolts/nuts holding the bell housing to the trans and remove the engine and bell housing? Seems easier than removing all the linkages and vacuum lines that go to the transmission and xfer case. I know the manual says to remove everything connected, why? Don't wanna pull the seats and fuel tank to pull the trans hump cover and all the linkages.

IMG_20220727_085212.jpg

Yes you can. Sometimes I’ll even have the hoist supporting the engine weight and undo the mounting ears on either side that go bellhousing to frame.

Background - 1970 FJ40, original f engine. R

Can I remove the bolts/nuts holding the bell housing to the trans and remove the engine and bell housing?
Error. Disregard.

Last edited:
I like that idea better pighead...How do you get to the bolts holding block to bellhousing? I see two outside by the firewall hump, and two inside up against the flywheel...

Been a while since I did this the first time, and the motor was out.

IMG_20220727_135641_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20220727_135617.jpg

IMG_20220727_135505.jpg

attached a chain to the hooks on the head, put a stand under the trans, removed the four bolts holding the bell housing to the trans. raised the motor a bit to remove the tension on the mounts, then removed the mounts. Saw the fuel pump in a dangerous spot, so I removed that. Should there be fipg on the gasket for the fuel pump?
IMG_20220730_105735.jpg
Now to get it on the stand...

Please! Someone (other than me) learn from my mistakes. I can only laugh at myself.

Latest - I had to rotate the clutch (via the flywheel), in order to remove the six bolts holding the clutch cover then the clutch and flywheel. The whole assembly locked up after removing four bolts, so I spun it the other way, and got the two bolts off. I wonder why it was jammed? Maybe because I forgot to reassemble the connecting rod cap and the main crank bearing cap that I removed when the motor was still in the truck.

Upon full inspection of all the bearings and crank, there is a dimple where the stud? from the connecting rod bit the rotating crank.
IMG_20220731_092327.jpg
Hopefully this can be polished out, and an oversized? bearing can take up the vacated space. Two other con rod bearings got chewed up, but otherwise the crank looks good. Will consult with my mechanic and see how to proceed. I have not looked at the cam yet, visual of the cylinders looks okay, still tearing down.
IMG_20220731_105137.jpg

Smelled faintly of burned oil.

While the motor is out.... Which way do the motor mounts align? I thought they were okay, but I vaguely remember someone said they were upside down? SOR pics are great, but mine don't look the same.
IMG_20220811_133245.jpg

Those could be FJ60 mounts. 40 mounts have a stud on the bottom, but a threaded hole on top.

I only had a minute to look earlier. Did find a set of main bearings.😊

They are 60 series mounts, just not sure how they orient. They worked. Great news re: main bearings, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom