Pulling T-case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulling T-case?

I'm going to be swaping my t-case out. Is there any tricks/things I should look out for that may help me along the way? I've pulled motors trannies, tcases and such, just not on an 80. Mine is a 1994 fzj80. Trying to track down a t-case this week. They are all high milage and lots of $. Trying to get one with not too many miles and an ok price is a challange.

Thank you all, Phil

Last edited:
What in the world is wrong with yours? :eek:

What in the world is wrong with yours? :eek:

It has been making a bit of noise but not bad. Today it got bad. I've been trying to track down the noise for quite some time (new u-joins, pulling drivlines, running hoses to differant parts of the drivetrain). It has been driving me CRAZY!!:crybaby: It has been hard to locate because it wasn't bad. Today it became easier to locate. I've got to get it done in a hurry and on a very tight budget.:mad:

Anyone?, with all you gear heads someone has to of pulled a tcase on a fzj.

1st thing I'd do in my search to find a replacement is go in the Classified section here, and look for parting outs...

I'd look for guys with a post count though... A really low # would indicate a flipper to me, and a lack of knowledge in both the real world value and possibly service...

This place has A TON of common sense and real world values... It would be the 1st place I ever looked for parts or a running Cruiser...

2nd, I'd find an FSM. There might be a link to one in the FAQ, but I'd try to find the book so I could take it in the shop... FSM or Chiltons... And of course, searching here.

I also don't know if you could use a 91-92... If you could, those should be cheaper and more plentiful to find...

You should be able to use it... You have the same tranny... It just won't have a Viscus Coupler, which depending on who you ask is not a bad thing:D

I'd drop that in AND a CDL switch... And you'll be styling...

This is from my 92, and it is obviously out of the truck, but I am assuming they are mounted the same way. looking at the back of the transmission with the TC removed:

img306.jpg

1, 2, 3, and 6 should be no problem. no. 4 was difficult to get to, I eventually removed the plate(lifting hook?) and two bolts from the transmission to get a socket in there with the breaker bar. no. 5 I used a long extension and fed it in between the front output housing and the case.

With it mounted on the truck the upper bolts would be difficult, I would guess you would need to support the crossmember with a floor jack, remove the bolts at the frame and lower it down a little bit to access the upper bolts. once the bolts are out and all of the wiring connectors and shift linkage is removed it just slides off.

btw, I have a 92 tc and CDL switch for sale in the classifieds but shipping would be steep for the case.

edit: I had the transfer case supported with a transmission jack. Don't try to just muscle it off, it is HEAVY.
img306.jpg

Mine came out pretty easy, but I did have to lower the crossmember a little to access some of the bolts.

Getting it back in was a serious hassle. But I was doing it by myself with a floor jack. The problem is that it's a weird shape (and heavy). I ended up making a cradle for it out of some 2x4's that would hold it at the right able while I raised it up in there.

thanks guies. I do have one on the way. 92-94 is all that will work for a direct replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom