Pulling motor without trans and transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1974 FJ40 with an 1-and-a-half here. The transmission and transfer case dont need anything, but I am R&Ring the motor. I have almost everything removed and am ready to hoist it out. I saw other threads like this one: Engine Removal (fj40)

where some folks recommend removing everything together. I dont want to disturb the transmission or xfer case if I dont have too. I have an overhead hoist that slides on a U-beam.

Is there any issue with unbolting the engine from the tramsmission (4 bolts right?), the engine mounts and lifting it out while leaving the transmission in situ? Anything else to watch for?

Do you hoist it out on a sling or are there specific lifting points?

Thanks!

Imho...its easier to pull it all together. Since all the mounts are attached to the motor and bellhousing, tjere will be nothing to hold your trans and tcase in the rig. I have pulled and reinstalled this way by myself and it's not very difficult.
Separating and reconnecting the motor to trans on the floor is much easier too.

The engine/tranny/transfer are supported by the front engine mounts and the bellhousing mounts. In order to take off the bellhousing, the flywheel has to be removed which doesnt leave much choice in having to pull the entire drivetrain unless you rig up some sort of support system for the trans and transfercase.

Its pretty easy to pull it out in one piece if you remove the rear mounts from the bellhousing and use a load leveler.

Is there any issue with unbolting the engine from the tramsmission (4 bolts right?), the engine mounts and lifting it out while leaving the transmission in situ? Anything else to watch for?

Thanks!

not possible

Thanks guys!

To answer earlier questions:

R&R meaning I have lover compression in 2 cylinders so a rebuilt. I am keeping it stock. Motor has flipped its odometer several times. TMU. I had the heads rebuilt 15 years but only 2000 mile ago Yes, it has been sitting a lot. In fact, I need an air cleaner assembly...

All the other cars I have done this on poop the transmission and engine out the bottom so this is a new adventure for me.

Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom