Pulling motor. easy way? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to pull the F motor trans and t-case from my 71 40. Would it be easier to seperate T-case first and then pull everything else? OR is it just as easy to pull the entire assy.

I've pulled lots of motor tranny combos but the linkage associated with my 40 looks crazy.:confused:

I have pulled both ways. Much easier assembly with the trany and tcase out. If you decide to pull just the engine, be sure to support the tranny and tcase. Both supported by the engine mounts. I have reassembled the engine and tranny after the leaving the tranny behind. Alignment is a chore!

I'd vote pull complete if you can get the shift linkage out.

Good Luck!
Scott

pull it all

I used the engine hoist to "pull" the tranny/transfer case as a unit by chaining them up and lowering them to the floor. Took 15 minutes alone. Then the engine was a breeze, 60wag helped and we took our sweet time and it took and hour or two.

IanB said:
I used the engine hoist to "pull" the tranny/transfer case as a unit by chaining them up and lowering them to the floor. Took 15 minutes alone. Then the engine was a breeze, 60wag helped and we took our sweet time and it took and hour or two.

Right. If the front seats and tunnel cover are out it's a piece of cake to separate the trans. from the engine and do as above. If the interior is going to stay then I'd pull the whole assembly. If you do the whole thing be careful 'cause it's kinda' weird to balance when lifted at the engine. I tied a piece of rope from the T/C to my lift chain to keep the back end from dropping. It's just common sense.

My roommater and I have done it 4 or 5 times in the past 1.5 yrs and we always pull it all at once. Never had any problems.

Using an engine leveler, load equalizer, really makes a huge difference when pulling everything together. My vote goes for pulling everything at once! Much easier but make sure to have a fun one!

Thanks for the input. Because the interior is out I opted for seperating the T-case and tranny from the motor. Easier than I expected. Now i just have to clean 30 years of dirt and other stuff off everything.

I pulled them both ways....best to pull it all at one time. It's easier plus you get to inspect everything else.

FAWK that thing is heavy!!! I seperated the trans from the motor and I'm glad I did. Poor little hoist made some creaking sounds but the motor is out. Can't imagine what it would have been with trans a T-case as well.

Thanks again for all the inputs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom