Pulling knuckle bearing off upper bearing cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am using the knuckle rebuild technique were you remove the lower control arm/bearing cap then lift the knuckle off. Then take the bearing off the upper bearing cap without removing the cap.
In the videos showing this done the bearing just slid off the cap.. but on mine it was very tight.

Can anyone recommend a bearing puller that will fit inside the knuckle to pull the knuckle bearing off the cap ?

Thanks !

Why not just remove the two 17mm bolts and tap the top trunnion cap out using a brass drift??. If there's a shim in there (should be) just clean up the mating surfaces and the shim then put the same shim back in if it isn't damaged. Or, buy a new shim the same thickness as what's in there for a few dollars??

Never done it this way myself, but a small diameter slide type bearing puller might work, going up through the lower hole in the knuckle?? How much room is there between the top of the bearing and the inner surface of the knuckle??

Maybe post up a photo of what you got now.

Last edited:
Edit, I think you'll need to unbolt the cap to remove the bearing

If you have access to one, this type of bearing separator might do it

download.jpeg

Or cut away the cage and remove rollers, then apply heat to the bearing with a gas torch, then cool the bearing cap with compressed air.

You should be able to drive the races out of the knuckle with a long drift through the opposite bearing hole

I followed this method and mine was snug also. A pair of opposed screw drivers gently pried it off the shaft. wiggle wiggle wiggle and it slid right off.

Why not just remove the two 17mm bolts and tap the top trunnion cap out using a brass drift??. If there's a shim in there (should be) just clean up the mating surfaces and the shim then put the same shim back in if it isn't damaged. Or, buy a new shim the same thickness as what's in there for a few dollars??

Never done it this way myself, but a small diameter slide type bearing puller might work, going up through the lower hole in the knuckle?? How much room is there between the top of the bearing and the inner surface of the knuckle??

Maybe post up a photo of what you got now.

Your suggestion is a good idea as it also cleans things up.. I was a little cautious about pulling the cap off and accidently changing the preload but in hindsight I probably should have done it ...

It is back together now.. but it was something I noticed when doing the rebuild and I was wondering if there was a better way .. There are some good suggestions in the the replies..

The only way to change the preload is to change the shim if there’s one in there.
It’s easier to just pull that cap, then it easy to get everything clean. Torque everything back to spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom