Pulling just the engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RTH; do I have to pull my starter if I'm doing engine removal only? Will the starter gear slip out when I pull it? Roughly where are the transmission harness to main harness disconnect locations?

RTH; do I have to pull my starter if I'm doing engine removal only? Will the starter gear slip out when I pull it? Roughly where are the transmission harness to main harness disconnect locations?

In short - yes, you have to remove the starter. It bolts to the bell housing, so those bolts have to be removed. Once the starter is removed, it becomes much easier (but still not "easy") to unplug the electrical connections between the engine and tranny harnesses (located just above the starter). Starter removal and electrical connections are done through the access panel in wheel well.

Last edited:
Thanks TurboDennis! Couldn't pull the wheel because had a lock lug nut on it. This is a rolled 80 I bought so just pulling parts off. So just did it from the bottom and by poking my head up into the access panel. Wasn't comfortable but done. Pulled starter bolts, pulled connections, didn't take off dipstick, took a while to work the starter out, lucked out in that the top starter bolt was barely tight, pulled transmission connections, pulled ATF cooler hoses. Also lucked out and got the 4 exhaust bolts off the manifold part; wire brush, PB blaster and heat and always tighten first then loosen are SOP. Only thing left, I think (hope, pray, dunno for sure) are the 10 transmission to engine bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom