Pulling apart an FJ40 (79) axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've done two complete axle/knuckle rebuilds on my FJ60s (had the factory manuals), but I just picked up a "winter beater" 79 FJ40 I need to do some work on. Since I don't have the factory manual, can anyone tell me how the OEM Warn Locking Hubs come off? I can't even get the faceplate for the locking hub body off! These allen bolts are tougher than cone washers. I've soaked with PB Blaster and heated with MAP gas...no joy! Do I even need to take the faceplate off to pull the hub off the axle? I need to put new rotors/calipers and dust shields on this thing... appreciate any advice! Hopefully I don't have to drill the allen bolts out...

Dave

P.S.

Any ideas on cheapest exhaust solution from the downpipes (stock) to the tailpipe?

rebuild is the same as on a FJ60

You need to get the allan head bolts out to get the face plate off, then it's the same as asian hubs...snap ring on birf...ect ect

Have you tried using an allan head socket instead of just and allan key? may give you better leverage (say a pipe on the end of the 3/8s wrench) to get the studs undone. I just pulled apart a 76 that was a bear to get apart. If the hub is stripped out you can fix it by drilling and using a Thear Repair kit on the hub body to "rethread" the hole.

HTH

Stew

I've had to drill out a couple....major PITA....

You "might" get lucky and the PO forgot to install the outer-most birfield clip...but if they are that stuck, it's more likely they've NEVER been apart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom