Pulling an engine this weekend, have a question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a parts FJ40 I'm going to be pulling a 2F engine from this weekend. It's missing the rear lift hook. So, I'm going to throw a strap around the bellhousing to lift the rear. No problem. But, I need to get this onto an engine stand, and after the bellhousing comes off I have no idea how I will safely lift the motor on to the stand. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't recommend it, but I once loaded a 2F into my Tundra with a lift sling wrapped around the rear portion of the exhaust manifold (a three piece manifold, infact). No harm, no foul.

You may be able to find a 10mm or 12mm lifting eye at an industrial supply house.

if it were me, I would back the furthest bolt off of the head and either build and place a new loop/chunck of steel, or back that head bolt out and run my chain into it. In short, use the head bolt on the driver rear.

Or take the manifold off and use one of those bolts

Source a used rear hook in the wanted section is one option.

Yeah, I know picking up a used one is an option of course from any of the usual suspects, but I don't think I'll get one by this weekend. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and see if I can get something Fedexed out tomorrow.

I don't recommend it, but I once loaded a 2F into my Tundra with a lift sling wrapped around the rear portion of the exhaust manifold (a three piece manifold, infact). No harm, no foul.

I thought about about throwing it back on (mf is off) but it might be a little tricky getting it balanced. I also considered just replacing a couple of manifold studs w/ bolts in rear of the head and hooking on to that, which I'm not too crazy about either.

Thanks,

Wow you guys are fast, as I'm replying this post gets a couple more hits. Thanks for the replies.

I also considered just replacing a couple of manifold studs w/ bolts in rear of the head and hooking on to that, which I'm not too crazy about either.

Why? Shear strength on bolts is much higher than the few hundred pounds you will be applying.

edit - Too general, sorry. Shear strength on a 5/16" grade 5 bolt is almost 6000 lbs.

Last edited:
OK, exhaust stud bolt holes it is. For some reason I thought those were smaller then they were. Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom