Pulling a new to me travel trailer out of 3 yr storage... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
I should preface this by saying I have never had an RV or camper of any type. I have always boondocked it in tents, and lately in my RTT.

Because life has a funny way of kicking you in the nuts, I can not camp that way with my family anymore. In fact- for the last two years we have done basically zero camping because wherever we spend the night I need access to at least 6 amps, 700 w of power. minimum. As much as I'd like to drag my feet, kicking and screaming, about this- I'd rather go camping again. So....

Started shopping for a camper. I remembered that the brother in law has been trying to sell his trailer for years now. One quick call later and I've bought myself a 25 foot toy hauler. With quads. Stupid cheap deal- literally could not pass it up. The quads will be nice because they will allow me to get further back up into the mountains where I'd normally camp, where I will not be able to get to because of the trailer now.

The trailer has been in covered storage for 3 years. I'm not worried about the roof much- i will eventually condition it, but it should be good until fall.

The trailer was 'winterized' before storage, 3 years ago. I'm a bit worried about seals and what not on the toilet/ black water system.

Should I just expect to have to replace that toilet seal? Can I pour mineral oil on it while I haul it back to my place and expect to be able to save it?

I'm already replacing tires and batteries- everything else should be solid assuming it was put away correctly, right?

image.jpeg

It doesn't look to old, if it was stored properly you should be good! Congrats on the purchase, what is you tow rig going to be??

*not a RV expert as I only have a tent trailer lol.

Just an 07, so not too bad.

Brother in law just plain straight up got in over his head. He used to be a banker, bought this before the housing bubble broke, lost his job- ended up not being able to sell it for what he owed. I think they really only used it lightly anyway, and for the last 3 years not at all.

Tow vehicle is a Escalade, fully burdened the trailer (with quads and full tanks) is under the GVWR, but only just.

Toilet seal should not be an issue at all. They don't use beeswax gaskets.

After three years, I'd fill the fresh water tank, drive it a bit around and see if anything leaks.

I got it home last weekend, air bags are a must, not sure how anyone would tow without them on a half ton truck. With the air suspension on the Escalade the back end drops to the bump stops without the helper bags.

Fits in the parking space with 4" to spare, side to side. Yikes......

Follow Mace's advise. Also run the water pump to run all the faucets, toilet, shower etc. Looks like a nice trailer! You do have an electric brake controller on your truck?

Yes, it's pretty standard controller, not one of the new fancy inertial driven ones...

I drove it around the block nice without the wiring harness connected, wow... Without trailer brakes it's a big fat sled.....

Last edited:
I got it home last weekend, air bags are a must, not sure how anyone would tow without them on a half ton truck. With the air suspension on the Escalade the back end drops to the bump stops without the helper bags.

Fits in the parking space with 4" to spare, side to side. Yikes......

Do you have a weight distributing hitch? By the sound of it, I would guess not. Personally, I would do that over airbags. I would recommend a Equalizer hitch. That will give you weight distributing and sway control all in one: Equal-i-zer® Hitch | The Original Sway Control Hitch

I do have one. The rear suspension of an Escalade doesn’t have springs, airbags are mandatory for safe towing.

You should have gotten that Excursion in the deal.

Repack the wheel bearings. Bearing buddies are not repacked wheel bearings.