Pulling a 5300lb 25 Ft Travel Trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer for some camping with the kids. We just looked at a 25ft Outback that looked very nice but weighs 5300 lbs dry. I know that this would probably be the max (or over) that I would want to pull with a 97 LX but has anyone pulled anything similar, if so how was it. I don't mind driving slow but I would like to get places eventually. The truck is basically stock except for some OME stock height replacements and 285's. Any suggestions??

Can you see behind it when it's hooked up to the 80?
How far would you travel?
A great mod for that would be land tanks MAF. IMO....

I haven't pulled anything yet with my new '97 LX, but with my old '93LC, I pulled my 22' travel trailer (approx 4000lbs dry) a few times camping and it pulled fine....although slow in the mountians (about 35mph), but on the flats it pulled smoothly.

I think you'd be pressing your luck and putting yourself and family at risk, IMHO.

The truck is not rated for that. You would be straining the drive train, and although the truck is heavy enough to keep the trailer straight, you would have issues on declines holding the trailer back, unless you installed a trailer braking system.

Again, my opinion. The 80 would do it but you will shorten the life of your truck and safety would be a concern.

I think you'd be pressing your luck and putting yourself and family at risk, IMHO.

The truck is not rated for that. You would be straining the drive train, and although the truck is heavy enough to keep the trailer straight, you would have issues on declines holding the trailer back, unless you installed a trailer braking system.

Again, my opinion. The 80 would do it but you will shorten the life of your truck and safety would be a concern.

Yes, definitely install a break contoller.......make the trailer do most of the braking, not the Cruiser.

I don't know where you live, but I tow a 6000lb boat all over the pacific northwest. On passes I'm down to 30mph here and there which is definitely working it. If you live on Colorado or similar where you're going over very serious passes and grades as part of every tow I'd have reservations. With good springs and properly matched shocks (sounds like you've done this), no lift (ditto) and stock tire size (your larger size gives up considerable torque) as well as Airlifts to control the load, overmaintenance (cooling system, bearings, drivetrain lubes, brakes, etc), and attention to trailer brake maintenance then you'll do OK.

Keep in mind the 80 is rated for 3500kg in the non US (read non lawsuit happy places) market which is 7700lbs with proper towing equipment. Also, your 5k tow rating in the US is on an 8 passenger vehicle and if it's only got 2-3 occupants that's less weight.

Towing is an inherently dangerous activity, so consider your personal limits carefully. There are many better tow vehicles out there and they are very cheap right now.

DougM

Here in the UK the landcruiser is legally rated to 3500kg (7700lb) and i regularly tow at this limit (often with another vehicle and trailer on the back).

I have found the rig to be stable and strong, and with good brakes (as long as the trailer brakes work)- i did upgrade the front brakes recently to help with stopping, which has been a good thing.

seems to me that you could do it safely with some common sense.
However, it will indeed get old quick when going seriously uphill, especially at high altitude...

I tow a 18' travel trailer that's about 4,000lbs. I installed a trans cooler, and use an equalizer hitch. Running on stock suspension (except Rancho 5000 shocks) and tires it handles fine, though my seat of the pants feel is that I wouldn't want to pull anything much bigger.

Based on your mud name, are you from Arizona? I would be a bit more comfortable with a bigger trailer in the flat lands, but I'm in mountains and hills and corners all the time, hence my reluctance to go any bigger.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I used to tow a 22ft boat at about 4000lbs and that was fine. I think the trailer you are speaking of loaded down with supplies, water, etc. will feel really heavy and surely on the verge of overdoing it. I wanted a full size travel trailer at one time, but settled on a larger pop-up and have no regrets. It is lighter at about 3800lbs loaded, and I can snake it deeper into the woods if necessary. The beauty is that I still have the toilet, shower, sink, stove that the :princess: wanted.

I could of never gotten a 25ft trailer in here...
campingmud.jpg

Two points that are overlooked;

A travel trailer is tall and wide with a relatively flat front, so punches a big hole in the air, causing a bunch of drag. It's more than just the weight, the drag causes stress/load on the tow rig.

My guess is one of the uses would be to go to the mountains in the summer? In desert temps I wouldn't tow at or close to max capacity. Agree that a tent trailer would be a good match.

Before getting gears done, with 295/75-tires (essentially the same as your 285's), I pulled my 600-lb off-road trailer and found the LC mucho more doggier in the power dept. I wouldn't even consider towing a trailer that big with a LC. You are asking for very poor handling when the trailer is longer than the tow rig!

Towing Capacity

I have a 1993 JDM Diesel 80 Series and it is fitted with a factory towbar rated at 3500 Kilograms. That converts to 7700 American Pounds.

So the vehicle is Rated by the manufacturer (at least outside the USA) to tow that weight. In NZ we have to have trailer brakes for anything over 750 Kilograms.
I would happily tow your 5300 pound travel trailer in New Zealand.

I would test drive it to check the aerodynamics of the trailer. My dad drove our '92 up to far north Montreal, I think, one time to pick up a one of a kind sailplane called the Sigma. I believe its the heaviest sailplane in the world, around a ton. And the trailer and setup equipment was another 3500-4000#. It had serious aerodynamic problems above 60mph (the trailer, not the glider :lol:) where it would start fishtailing like crazy, and it didn't have a braking system. That is probably a must with a big trailer like that. I would say other than that though, you'd be good. BTW, that was with the 3FE, so I'm sure you'd be fine. Pics!! :).

Well, we decided that the 25ft may be a little to big to handle safely so we are looking for something a little smaller and lighter. Wife is going to look at a 22ft that weighs about 750lbs less. Hopefully she will like it and then I can worry about how it pulls. I have a P3 brake controller so hopefully I can get the trailer to do its share of the braking. Thanks for the replies guys.

imo, those large travel trailers & 'camping' dont go together. get yourself a smaller yet functional and durable off road tent trailer. it'll pull easier and put less strain on your LX...and the lower profile wont punch such a big hole in the air. with a spring over and decent tires, you can go to more 'camping' type places and not be limited to an 'RV' park with a bunch of seniors and their class a motor homes. you can get one with 2 large beds, a sink, and shower...and still feel like youre 'camping'

...but thats just me :cheers:

Well, we decided that the 25ft may be a little to big to handle safely so we are looking for something a little smaller and lighter. Wife is going to look at a 22ft that weighs about 750lbs less. Hopefully she will like it and then I can worry about how it pulls. I have a P3 brake controller so hopefully I can get the trailer to do its share of the braking. Thanks for the replies guys.

I think you will be real pleased with a 22 footer. I got mine into some pretty tight spots with no problem. With wife, 3 kids, and a 130lb rottie, there was plenty of room in that size travel trailer. And as far as a tent trailer, I'd rather have a hard sided (travel trailer), especially if you camp in the mountains.....unexpected wind, rain, and snow.....much more comfortable! Also, as noted above.......get the airbags installed in the rear springs. It helps prevent the sag and smoothes the ride. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom