Pulley size for TRD s/c (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have fitted a TRD kit to my 105 series (in SA the 105 series has the 1FZ-FE motor). Does anyone know what the smallest puley size you can run without overstressing the s/c and with the same belt? I recently moved from sea level up to Joburg that is 6000 feet above - would like to get the boost back to where it was. Thanks in advance.

Mark

C-Dan and Photoman have experimented with different pulley sizes. C-Dan lives at 6,000 ft; Photoman is probably under 1,000 ft.

If they don't see this thread and reply then send them a PM.

-B-

The stock pulley is 3.2 inches in diameter. Photoman determined that the smallest pulley that would clear the nose was, I think, 2.6 inches. each .1 inch decrease realizes ~1 psi. I have a 3.0 inch pulley that I run from time to time. It gives me just short of a 2 psi bump.

Spinning the blower faster will not necessarily overstress it. What you need to concern yourself with is the rest of the engine. You need to be sure that the engine is getting enough fuel, of the correct octane, to prevent detonation. As the boost rises the ammount of fuel required also rises as does the need for additional octane.

A 2.6 inch pulley could realize close to 12 psi but that is well past "safe"

Thanks for the replies. I have a lot of flexibility to provide more fuel because I have fitted a Dastek chip (similar to the unichip I think) with the turbo module as well as extra injectors. The 1FZ-FE engine on the 105 series uses a MAP sensor instead of the MAF sensor found on the 80 series version of the motor. The engine management system goes into alarm when the MAP shows more that 1bar. This kit clamps the MAP signal at 1 bar and then uses the turbo module (that has it's own MAP sensor) to provide the fuel, via the 2 extra injectors, under boost conditions. By moving to 6,000ft we lose about 0.18 of a bar - this means at best I am now running at 0.2 bar boost! If I fit say a 2.8 pulley would that that get me back to where I was at sea-level? I know it is not quite that simple because with the s/c working harder you wil get more heat and hence less oxegen. The ideal would be to fit a water charge-cooler to remove the heat introduced through the s/c - I may end up doing this eventually.

Mark

mark chewins said:
I have fitted a TRD kit to my 105 series (in SA the 105 series has the 1FZ-FE motor). Does anyone know what the smallest puley size you can run without overstressing the s/c and with the same belt? I recently moved from sea level up to Joburg that is 6000 feet above - would like to get the boost back to where it was. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Is the 105 Series the Diesal Powered, Solid Axle 100 series? If so, PLEASE post some pics!!! :D

No it is not Diesel powered - it is the 1FZ-FE (4.5 petrol) motor. It is SFA though and permanent 4x4 and comes standard with 3 lockers. Looks very similar to other 100 series.

Mark

Mark,

See #35 this post for some pulley pictures. Some info here in #17 (August 2003) on pulley work.
These two pics show the stock 3.2” pulley mounted and the 2.6”. As you can see in the pics, to go smaller in pulley size the pulley would have to go in front of the SC nose and not over it. It is possible as I had discussed to go down to the 2” pulley but the bracket holding the belt tension pulley and idler, would have to be spaced out approx. ½”. The SC drive pulley on the crank would need the same spacing. Make sure you tighten your head bolts.

Bill
Pulley-rear-3.2-rear.jpg
Pulley-2.6-inch-rear.jpg

Here is a pic showing the bracket that would need spacing. It also shows a tool I made to take the SC belt on and off. It works well with the offset to get around the water pump belts. If you can get a socket or wrench/spanner on it, the bolt on the front of the tension pulley works as well to remove the belt. The other two pics show a pulley puller I made to remove the SC pulley. Hope this helps.

Bill
SC-bracket-and-belt-tool.jpg
SC-Pulley-Puller-Tool.jpg
SC-Puller-in-Use.jpg

Wow Bill...is that a custom made pulley, or did you buy it from Toyota/TRD? Looks pretty snug in there:rolleyes:

Did you make that pulley tool too? I just used a big 'ol pipe wrench on the spring loaded pulley bit and it worked like a charm:D

Bill has ALL of his @&@&@&@& in one sock.....:D

You have got to be kidding.
Cheers,
Sean

If you are looking for smaller pullies look here : Pulleyboys.com They have it all. Various easy swap pulleys and such, tools and oil to. Be cautious about over reving the Eaton blower. the max rpm for the Eaton is 15,000 rpm's. Corky Bell has the formula to get that number, basicly crank and pully diameter gives you pulley to crank ratio and then x's RPM. Keep us informed on what you do.

TRD SC kit on e-bay

Title says it all. Was doing the e-bay snoop and spotted this. Decent price!

TRD SC KIT

If that pic on the ebay ad is correct, then it's not the right blower for this engine. But, I often see them screw up these pics even on the websites that sell the TRD/Kazuma blower, so that don't mean much. It did strike me as odd that they advertised it for a '98 LC.

It actually says in the add:

YOU ARE LOOKING AT A NEW SUPERCHARGER ASSEMBLY FOR A TOYOTA COROLLA OR MATRIX

Good eyes Scamper!

boydmick said:
YOU ARE LOOKING AT A NEW SUPERCHARGER ASSEMBLY FOR A TOYOTA COROLLA OR MATRIXGood eyes Scamper!

The seller is Conicelli Toyota in Pennsylvania and they have been selling TRD blowers since day one. As a matter of fact, that's where TRD had me buy mine when they first came out (for a mere $2750.00). Great folks.

boydmick said:
It actually says in the add:

YOU ARE LOOKING AT A NEW SUPERCHARGER ASSEMBLY FOR A TOYOTA COROLLA OR MATRIX

Good eyes Scamper!

Actually that is a GEN II for the 3.4L and the extra hardware in the pic is the 7th injector setup they used as a band-aid to (try) fix the lean out and pinging.
taco engine1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom