1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pulley puller

Discussion in 'KS/MO- Tornado Alley Cruisers' started by Poriomania, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Poriomania

Poriomania

I'm going to be doing the timing belt and water pump on my 4runner soon and I was told

"You'll also need a SST to pull the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer and another to remove a camshaft pulley."

It has also been suggested that it might not have to be an SST, but that a generic puller would work. Has anyone done this job on a truck (on another truck even) and used a generic puller or should I be looking for this SST?

2. Poriomania

Poriomania

It's a 5vz-fe, the 3.4L 4Runner/Tacoma engine.

We'll see, but Eric C. will likely chime in if he can help with the other Eric(k).

Incidentally I haven't been associating professionally with New Vision for a bit. Hope your new job is going well for you Randy. Nice to see you found your way over here. :cheers:

3. tornadoalleycruiser

tornadoalleycruiser SILVER Star

That'd be Eric Butler.. I'll call him later.. I think he took it to a shop tho! I don't think he did it himself.. With Lily (their little girl), his wrenching time has been cut down a bit.. If he is working in the shop it's normally on the FJ40..
    He was planning on doing it but I think he got a killer deal at a shop.. I'll report back.

4. Poriomania

Poriomania

5. tornadoalleycruiser

tornadoalleycruiser SILVER Star

All the sst's I've got my hands on and owned for toyotas come from otc-spx you can order online and they aren't that much money.. Most of the time they are truly worth spending the dough.. Might be worth picking the sst up! When your done with it keep it or sell it to another junky..

6. trainrech

trainrech

The pulley "holder" can be made from a piece of bar stock steel & a drill. Nothing special whatsoever.

7. Ranski

Ranski

8. Poriomania

Poriomania