Pulley explosion. HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm driving home today and a half mile from home I hear a thunk and moments later my voltmeter drops and temp goes waaaay up. I pull into my driveway and I'm pissing coolant everywhere. Open the hood and my freakin' fan is cracked and off the pulley, my fan/water pump pulley is also off the water pump (bolts look sheared) and there seems to be a hole in the radiator. I'm thinking one of the accessories must have seized up or something. All I know is I've got a damned chain reaction of a mess under my hood and am not looking forward to what this is gonna cost me. Anybody out there have this happen to them as well? Any idea on parts cost for this? I just bought a house and this is gonna take a lot of time and money I needed for the house. Bad timing! =\
As always, I appreciate everyone's help and input. Thanks in advance.

---"Wait Master, it might be dangerous.....You go first."--

Your water pump seized which caused the bolts to shear throwing the fan into the radiator. You'll need a new water pump, bolts for the pulley, and fan belt minimum. Maybe a new pulley, new fan, and maybe new radiator if it ruptured any passages. Good luck.

Yeah, the fan is definitely broken. I think the bolt holes in the pulley are screwed too. I'm hoping the radiator can be fixed. I'm dreading the cost of a rad and water pump. Any clue on cost of all these parts?

Captain Caveman said:
Your water pump seized which caused the bolts to shear throwing the fan into the radiator. You'll need a new water pump, bolts for the pulley, and fan belt minimum. Maybe a new pulley, new fan, and maybe new radiator if it ruptured any passages. Good luck.

Good luck? Boy oh boy, if you knew my life, you'd know that's nowhere to be found! =\ Like they say, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all... Thanks for the reply though. :)

Well an OEM Toyota water pump is $80.00 from Beno and the radiator you must get on the aftermarket. It seems that the price has been creeping up on the radiators, the price at radiator barn.com is now $342.45. While your at this job replace all the hoses that you can.

Zack

I saw an Aisin water pump on line for $94, but $80 sounds better. I also saw a radiator for $450, so I will have to check out that site. Hopefully when I take it out in the next hour or so, I can have it fixed instead. Then there's the fan and the pulley too..... Boy this sucks.

post something in the parts for sale or search through there for a rad if your trying to save a couple bucks.

You should be able to check the rest of the belt driven accesories by seeing if they will rotate by hand. Check idler's as well.

But because you didnt mention any belt squeal Id guess the bearings ate themselves and went really quick.

Dont forget to order a gasket for the water pump (unless it comes with the pump).

x2 post in the parts section, I have a radiator for a 2f laying around I would give away for cheep local if someone needed it. Don't know if I want to deal with shipping right now but if you can find one or needone asap let me know.

Or ditch the fan and go electric.

Now I am really confused. ALL of my pulleys spin freely. Every one. So what would cause THIS to happen?!

ForumRunner_20120620_122539.jpg

ForumRunner_20120620_122630.jpg

ForumRunner_20120620_122717.jpg

ForumRunner_20120620_122817.jpg

I'm pretty sure the holes in the pulley should be...uh.....round? I just don't know why the fan would just spontaneously detatch itself. Any ideas guys? I appreciate all the help so far.

ForumRunner_20120620_122539.jpg
ForumRunner_20120620_122630.jpg
ForumRunner_20120620_122717.jpg
ForumRunner_20120620_122817.jpg

And this too, of course.

ForumRunner_20120620_123114.jpg

ForumRunner_20120620_123114.jpg

snowboardonsnow said:
x2 post in the parts section, I have a radiator for a 2f laying around I would give away for cheep local if someone needed it. Don't know if I want to deal with shipping right now but if you can find one or needone asap let me know.

Or ditch the fan and go electric.

I don't know if that radiator would work. The one I have has two fittings on the bottom for the auto tranny cooler. I don't think yours has those. (?)

snowboardonsnow said:
Rad looks fine luckely. I would say if the bolts got loose and one fell out then a while later the other fell out or broke, after that probably the other two just snapped off and s*** hit the fizzle

All four bolts on the pulley sheared off. I just can't figure out why.

IMO they weren't tight enough. They are a pain to reach, especially if the fan shroud is in the way.

looks like they were too loose...

You can get your Rad recored. I think it will pour the water out of it right away the way it is now.

Dyno

Last edited:
Unfortunately, out on the east end of the country there aren't so many Land Cruisers in the junk yards. They are harder to come by then they are out west.

so is this setup Fan > pulley > water pump ?

Does the bearing in the pump feel smooth or ratchety? A few theories, Impeller became loose, then hit the inside of the pump housing and some how, caused the shaft to suddenly seize.

There was some foreign object that feel into the pulley and got lodged between the engine and the bolts behind the pump causing it suddenly to seize.

I replaced a water pump on a dodge carvan that seized and snapped the timing belt. look at the back side of the water pump pulley mount and see if you see any gouging.

As a mechanic, I always check assesory for how many times they spin on there own. More then two times..the bearings are getting dry and its time to change before failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom