Pulled head. Any thoughts on this gasket. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled the head gasket. Looks like it was done before.
Looks ok, compared to a lot if other here. I did this as PM at 172k miles.

However I can see some deformations on several cylinders. Any thoughts on the pictures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just noticed that it looks like some of the water jacket ports are clogged. Maybe head gasket stop leak?

Fwiw. I have always looked at the two half moon shaped thingies near the front of the engine. Below valve cover??

If the gray factory gasket seal ooze is still there, then it has OG head gasket.

My '96 had leak stop. The coolant had a reflective metallic shimmer to it.

Still had the grey FIPG but noticed paint marks on the back of the cam gears.

image.jpg

Gasket looks pretty decent. And yeah the deformation is normal. Here's a brand new gasket, same deformation.

xVQYOMc.jpg

Fwiw. I have always looked at the two half moon shaped thingies near the front of the engine. Below valve cover??

If the gray factory gasket seal ooze is still there, then it has OG head gasket.

How do you differentiate between this Permatex gray silicone and the gray factory silicone? Even when the half moon silicone is not gray, that doesn't always mean the head gasket has been replaced.

upload_2015-2-20_1-7-34.png

Well jeez your cams sure look clean!

Cams look clean, I think the head was pulled awhile back. I bought it with 152k miles. I looked up the records from Lexus and it had regular service to 125k miles. Didn't see anything about HG repair. Looks to have the old style head gasket.

Here's what a blown (original design HG) looks like...mine from 2010 at 202,000 miles.

tow-pics-006a-jpg.401142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom