pulled CD changer - making console storage space useful, anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We redid the audio, pulled the PO's CD changer mounted nside the center console...lots of nice space in there, but there's a few openings, esp towards the front, where small items might disappear. I was thinking of just cutting a small piece of auto carpeting or machine mat and stuffing down into there to line. Has someone here done it more elegantly? Anybody remember any threads?
Ua-28Hvm2jwOEBXiR3MTUSndnDv-rC8ebJgj0xnMs0Cx9LUhMvc99MgWK6akmUOnxRrtfQV8Qr7TYhRaFfR_oxftPI9BYhj1nMB_GqHJQADKtebg_NDTxRdCAA_YwglcVHPLwCK7iiycVCZeJjR9i_N5dDMlR8BSogcjExWXONZMv17weqNv1Ac8kG_2gDRh7G8k6plw3JAIClN6k5u-LdQBtK7njxXFTCygeQikBONpvEjzQpmwShAScwyZ0mOqzg-9lsxHJvcCofB-nVmRY7oGREL7fGGTxUchXDRP8aoRwu7c4JXaA23gdcsV9ymIlQQOvKWPC90w4WID0XUpt6AT7_jWJ1Wfv2jhSAO5yTEmsxbBS6_aCkKnwviI9wK5mKI4QDm9GtnkVGInYtp0kuJOTDBZ4gOBzPA6-7qdyNP5R1sLakEjRTSH_R15TMv_a9ttQJilVb09Pylm30E274Yw0QdUWjAyLqDYoHI1jGj4MyICFWIcvvvHhX4IfFOnaowuUDR4qFnxwr9s1QWKd2hTDjEVROTbjL7fd3JqUSAP5ZBOi-PFjpYUDTzKAVVt7Mkdyy7i_oULlQWR6IozPE1DTtr0zrUox2ROsq9h=w1164-h1552-no

Mine is not working, I have been thinking about pulling it. If I do I would like to cut the front/top face off then mount it back on some kind of a hidden hinge so that it flips up with a secret compartment underneath.

I've looked and looked and tried to get the non nav console boxes, there are two parts to it. I thought I had them at ssg, but that order got cancelled also. I've been trying to find them since jan.
I decided to take it all out and put a fridge in there after this last attempt at finding them.

TOYOTA 5891360010 PANEL, BOX, NO.3 $ 105.34
TOYOTA 5891260050 PANEL ASSY, INTERIOR $ 83.59

Last edited:
You could do what the previous owner of my vehicle did...left the CD/DVD changer in the console, and just put a boatload of pennies, nickels, and dimes inside the changer anyway. Makes for a real good time.

Ideally finding the non-DVD innards would be the way to address this, but it is my understanding that they are out of production and no longer available "new". You might be able to find these parts from a salvage yard, but will probably get stuck with purchasing the entire console in order to get them.

Some alternatives might be:
1) finding a small "personal/handgun safe" that gives you a small lockbox inside the console
2) Mounting a CB or HAM radio in that space and making a faceplate to fill in the gaps.
3) voltage inverter again making a faceplate to fill the gaps.​

I like that inverter idea a lot. Thanks everyone.

I put a CB in mine. I used the 12V plug down there and routed the coax up from the bottom. I ran the coax out to the back of the hatch to my magnetic antenna. The magnetic antenna is stowed under the wing of my drawer setup and ran out the back hatch up to the roof when needed.

CD Changer and center console removal how to

Why, oh WHY, couldn't I find that link when I did all of that blind last week??!?!?! Would have saved me a lot of hassle. On the plus side, I managed to get all of the change out of the CD/DVD player, and I'll be darned if it didn't work properly afterwards! There was a penny jammed in the mechanism so badly the only way I could get it out was by filing down the small raised edge around the penny with a tiny screwdriver through the CD/DVD loading opening.

I DO like the idea of housing a CB in there. I've got one of the larger Cobra classic radios sitting in my garage gathering dust... hmmmmm.....too bad I still like and use CDs.. gotta find another space. Ideas?

I gave the vinyl and CDs away a looooong time ago. Wish I'd kept the vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom