Pulled Block drain & nothin... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
Threads
After help from JesterB & Euclid dads F motor was out. This evening I was removing items for a clean & paint on the block. Before removing the water pump wanted to remove the excess water from the block, removed drain fitting from lower drivers side of block & nothing. Look with a flash light & found black/gray shiny material hardened in its hole. With a ice pick I removed it....& more & more. Has any one heard or seen this before....maybe JB weld but why?

Been covered a bunch out here....You are not the only one to have found this substance in your block...clean it out the best you can, and run it.

Good luck!

-Steve

My first thought is Radiator Sealer such as Bars leak or something like that, I would pull the soft plug check the whole system or if rebuilding, hot tank it.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Would pulling the feeze plugs help this or will this area be accessable?

fj60guy said:
Thanks for the quick replies.
Would pulling the feeze plugs help this or will this area be accessable?

As long as you've got everything stripped off why not pop out the freezeplugs so you can get an idea of how bad the stuff is spread around in the jacket. Might save yourself a clogged passage or radiator.

If you do take out plugs be damned sure that you have the right size replacements. Compare directly - don't even trust your Toyota dealer to give you the right size.

All of the Fs I've pulled apart had this stuff in the bottom. I found that removing the draincock and digging back with a screwdriver, then a stiff, bent wire was the way to get in, usually, although I pulled the head and dug from above once as well.

Definitely replace freeze plugs with factory plugs, the others are iffy, and very hard to get to. Trust me, I am speaking from experience. Use a wire and a hose to clean out all of the stop leak crud, access all the cooling areas from the vacated freeze plugs, if you pull the head that helps too. I have seen a motor that had been rebuilt and this junk had never been cleaned out.

Try to replace them with the brass ones, not the shinny ones. Just my .02 :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom