Pull the engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 LX with 130k and the notorious manifold tick from both sides for about 3-4 min before it warms up. Am I off base to think it would be easier at 190k when I need a new timing belt to just yank the engine? Once it's out I could do the manifolds (ten hour job in 1 hour id think) timing belt and water pump, throw in new motor mounts, replace all the hoses on the engine while it's out, throw in a new starter, new bushings on the steering rack, ect.

Wasn't this already posted? If you're gonna have the engine out already then go for it, otherwise I wouldn't really bother. But maybe that's just me.

It was posted at the end of another thread but didn't get any response---and I felt like I was jacking the thread. My point is I can't see spending 8-10 hrs (as reported here) doing both manifolds while the engine is in.

I bet you could loosen the mounts, lift the engine and make it WAY easier than just pulling it.

The timing belt is too easy with it in to justify pullin it.

I just don't see it being worth the effort of pulling the engine for a simple timing belt and installing headers. Theres a reason people don't do it, just too much effort for something easily done while the engine is still in.

. . . . am I off base to think it would be easier at 190k when I need a new timing belt to just yank the engine? Once it's out I could do the manifolds (ten hour job in 1 hour id think) timing belt and water pump, throw in new motor mounts, replace all the hoses on the engine while it's out, throw in a new starter, new bushings on the steering rack, ect.

In theory, it would be great to do suspension, steering rack, manifold/headers, ac compressor, etc with the engine out. But I'm guessing pulling the engine isn't going to as easy as, say a 68 Camaro or 911.

I just replaced my a/c compressor, and it is amazing how difficult Toyota makes servicing an engine in a fairly large frame.

Of course if you are going to pull the engine in 60k, maybe it's time to start saving for a turbo-diesel . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom