Pull engine to replace rear seal and head gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if pulling the engine is worth the effort when replacing the rear seal and head gasket? Looks like so much stuff gets pulled off to do the head gasket, might be easier to get both repairs done while the motor is out.

if your doing the rear main, your either dropping the trans or pulling the motor. You can drop the trans, pull the head, and do it all in the truck but at that point I would say just pull the motor.

Last edited:
Wondering if pulling the engine is worth the effort when replacing the rear seal and head gasket? Looks like so much stuff gets pulled off to do the head gasket, might be easier to get both repairs done while the motor is out.

Absolutely.....pull it.

It's debatable whether or not to pull it for the head gasket only....but when you throw the rear main seal in the mix, then just pull the engine.

Actually, if I were to do the head gasket on mine again, I'd pull the engine for that too, SO much easier to reach everything.

Good opportunity to clean up the engine bay as well. Anyone equipped to pull the engine would be well served by doing so IMO.

I pulled the engine to do the head gasket on mine. Turned out I needed block work done as well, so I'm glad I did pull it. However, if I ever have to do the head gasket again - I'll pull the engine again. Just makes access alot easier, and you can replace other things alot easier as well (PHH, FHH, fuel filter, power steering pump, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom