Puddle Light / Running board light help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swamp-thing

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all — new to me 06 LX470 having trouble with the puddle / running board lights.

Back story: The previous owner, or owner prior to the previous owner I should say — added aftermarket running boards & installed 4 KC cyclone LED lights in the place of the factory puddle light setup in each corner near the globes.
To my knowledge this was done years ago, prior to my purchase.

My issue:
We lost the dome lights inside.
Checked fuse and it was blown.
Replaced 10a fuse and then shortly smelled some melty smoke smells from the undercarriage.
Poked my head under there and saw the wires at one of the cyclones were melted / smouldering.

I removed the faulty light —- checked the others, and found another one that was showing signs of perishing.
We ordered two replacement lights, now the cyclone v.2 and installed.

Now all 4 lights work when I replace the burned out fuse — they are not smoking or melting when the door is ajar.
The dome light fades out in a short time after closing open doors.
BUT the cyclones stay illuminated!! They “dim” ever so slightly but don’t go out completely.

What am I missing? Just replaced burned out lights with new, didn’t mess with wiring or anything at all it’s plug and play.
I have a hard time believing the PO ran this 4 light setup for many years and just left them on the whole time since they don’t appear to dim on their own.

And since they aren’t shutting off as they should what else can I do to remedy this?

Any Help appreciated - thanks to all in advance if you know or have had similar experience.

Last edited:
OK folks — what may be common knowledge to some but not others is the KC cyclone LED lights have an aluminum casing and if any part of that casing comes in contact with the frame while mounting etc it will ground out the light, keeping everything ON. Solution was to use an oversized rubber washer where the light contacts the frame and a rubber washer where bolt passes through the light. Problem appears to be solved now hopefully this helps someone else out ( I’m not an electrical person so sorry in advance for lots of non technical nonsense words used in this post )

Probably a good idea to post up some pics of the install and then lights on at night so folks see how much light they put out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom