Builds "Puck" the FZJ80 Build -- First Malfunction!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by MagnusTheRed, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MagnusTheRed

MagnusTheRed

Hey everyone!

This is "Puck", so named by the 2nd owners' kids because the 1st owner was an NHL player. I thought that was pretty cool.

I bought Puck a few weeks ago, then spent 18 days on a wildfire fantasizing about what all I wanted to do. I got back and dropped the running boards (as you can see), pulled the rear seat, and did a very amateurish job of repairing a big old rust spot on the driver's side rear door (judge for yourself!).

Today, I drove the rig home from the fire station and pushed it to go faster than it's been before (about 90). Checked the thermostat at the bottom of the offramp and it looked fine, but when I pulled up in front of my house less than a minute later, I stepped out and heard hissing that gradually got worse. I popped the hood and, well, you'll see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day I dropped the running boards.

[​IMG]

Another photo from the day I dropped the boards.

I'm not too bummed -- I saw a little bit of crusted coolant around the hose that I think blew, and told myself I could worry about it another time. I guess it's time to worry now! I knew I'd need to put some work into the old girl at some point; that's part of the fun, right?

Gonna go out in the next day or so and grab a hose and some clamps and some Toyota Red.

Anything else I should check out after a problem like this? I figure it's just the hose, but could it have damaged anything else?

Thanks in advance!

2. ceylonfj40nut

ceylonfj40nut Hate Design Obsolescence SILVER Star

Head gasket. Last thing you want to do is oveheat a 1FZ. Looks like your having fun. Could be the pesky heater hose?

MagnusTheRed likes this.
  3. FJP971

FJP971

Media:
    Albums:
    The way it's pulsing out of there I'm afraid it might be the head gasket.

4. MagnusTheRed

MagnusTheRed

I strongly believe it to be the heater hose -- I'd observed crusted coolant on it before, and there was substantial residue coming straight down out of it after the event. It's difficult to see in the video, but I actually saw coolant dripping from there.

I'm going to replace the hose and diagnose from there.

Does steamed coolant always mean it's overheating necessarily?

EDIT: I just started it up for 5 seconds and it did fine. I don't think I toasted the engine -- thank goodness! I'd been planning a diesel/manual transmission swap...but not until 300k!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Speedytech7 likes this.
  5. jfz80

jfz80 bound to cover just a little more ground SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My vote is on PHH.

Replace that ticking time Bomb of a heater valve at the same time. Matter of fact take a look at the condition of your rear heat hard lines (above cats) and you may want to bypass the rear to eliminate another potential failure point.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. MagnusTheRed

MagnusTheRed

Funny you say that -- I replaced that hose, started it up, then it sprung a new leak from that pesky heater hose I keep reading about on here (thank god for this place, seriously).

Looks like I'm digging in. Might as well replace a ton of things while I'm into it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.