Puchasing Pre or Post-Emmission FJ40 in California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am eager to purchase an FJ40. I had been looking for something in the range of 1978-80 because of the mechanical upgrades (brakes, transmissions, etc.) but after talking to a few friends I am being swayed towards getting a pre-smog required vehicle since I live in California. I understand this would push me back to a 1975 or earlier FJ. My initial year specifications were driven by many threads on the various forums but I realize I was not considering my State of residency. I would appreciate hearing from my fellow Californians on the trade offs vs. benefits.

Thank you,

Ken

I would NEVER buy a post-smog LandCruiser. I bought my 1974 FJ55 in 1986. Lived in Sacramento. Every 2 years I had to swap out my headers, carb, dizzy etc. for the stock stuff and go take a test. Hated that, you can imagine my joy, as I was preparing to do the swap once more and got the notice from DMV that smog was no longer required for the Pig. I did a very ecstatic dance.
Smog equipment getting very hard to find and make operational, tests seem to be getting harder all the time.
However, you can bolt just about every later year upgrade on to an earlier vehicle.
Get a pre-smog Cruiser, upgrade as desired, flipoff smog stations as you drive by...

I agree. Buy a '75 or older and skip the frustration, unless you find it part of the appeal. As @Pighead mentioned, if you can't
find what you want you can make it what you want.

I've owned a 76 - couldn't get it smogged - sold it.
A 75 with a SBC 350 - disc brakes front and rear - wish I still had it and have a standing offer to re-buy when the current owner decides to sell.

I was REALLY going to replace with another 75 but I found my current 78 by chance - unmolested, upside down bezel, 2 owners, seller had it for 26 years, needed to be reconditioned and cleaned up but it passed smog twice before I handed over the money. Weighing everything out, I couldn't pass it up for the overall condition and price.

I knew going in it was something I would have to always deal with it every 2 years, but it can be done.

Last edited:
I just recently bought 40. A ‘73. Like you I wanted the more refined later model but was hesitant about the smog. My smog guy said it can be done but to make sure all the original equipment is installed and make sure it passes a test before handing over any money.
But it was nice registering my truck without any mother may I.
Or try to find a diesel.
Good luck, it’s a tough buyers market.

Yep wouldn't even bother with a newer one.

Just recently got a 75...disc brake swaps are easy, 4-speed. Don't really need power steering

Depends on how mechanical you are and what your level of smog-ethics is ;)

There are ways around the smog test, though none are cheap or easy or without risk.

If you found a post '75 that was very clean and rust-free and ALL the smog equip was intact, I've found from personal experimentation you almost always can get the truck to pass by installing a smaller jet and a fresh CAT, then reversing the jet size after so the truck runs properly. Of course, this involves removing the carb and some disassembly and a new CAT.

As a life-long Kalif resident and veteran of decades of smog battles with my 60s, I find it much more convenient with the 40s to have them pre-75, though if a later one in good cond at the right price, I wouldn't hesitate.

The 2F engine is almost a pleasure to work on without all the smog crap around it.

Nice meeting up you Ken and good luck with the search. I had thought smog-free CA was 76 (not 75)? Price issues aside, I wouldn't make a decision based on smog unless your interest is non-stock, headers, after-market engine modifications, etc. If you find say, that perfect 1980 for 20K I would stop worrying about smog (as long as it passes when you buy it). :)

I know California is becoming a bear as far as diesels. How does California view the Central and South American that are showing up? Believe most from Columbia are petrol models verses Costa Rica where most 40 seem to be diesel. Arizona emissions go back to 1967 models. At least it's not state wide and a classic registration option.

PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom