Public Service Announcement; De-Chroming Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevinmrowland

Forum Lifer
Threads
Website
www.wagongear.com
I was searching around last night for info on window tint and came across a bunch of old threads on removing window chrome.

If you remove your window chrome and don't replace it with some form of welting the widows are not sealed. Cruiser style window gaskets require an expander to seal properly. That is what the chrome does.

The good news is that black rubber welting is available at any auto glass place and it works better than the chrome, making for a tighter seal.

The photos are of the welting in place, if the gaskets are soaked in silicone the welting is fairly easy to install. You can see that the stuff makes the bends easily even on the windshield

I ran out of the welting on my truck and never "got around" to getting the hatch window done. Several years latter I needed to pop out two windows, the expanded gasket window was fine, the hatch window was not. Since the rubber was not expanded, water, dust, dirt and salt got in there and the window frame required grinding and repainting.

This may have already been mentioned but I did not see any posts on it. Just wanted to let you all know.
PB160001.JPG
PB160007.JPG

Last edited:
That's a good one Kevin, but what's up with the Seniors parking pass???

what an excellent sticker in the second shot.
are you goin gto come down and put the windows in the lv when the time comes?
jason

kevinmrowland said:
Curmudgeon in training Steve.:cool:

Two good ones in one day! Take the rest of the afternoon off, youngster!

whered ya get that sticker?

brett76 check the venders section for stickers under the Araco sitckers for sale.
Kevin it should be ready Sunday evening after we sand prime and paint the cruiser on saturday and sunday morning. but if you don't get the body work done by sunday we can always finish it up over thanksgiving weekend:)
still have mice?

how do you go about asking for the welting. is it a particular size?
is this one of those best mods under 50 bucks?

Gracias!

hightide said:
how do you go about asking for the welting. is it a particular size?
is this one of those best mods under 50 bucks?

Gracias!

I would print out one of the photos I posted and tell them that the base measures about 14mm, 9/16"
Definitely under $50. If the shop is nice they will give it to you for free, the first time I got it for free the second time a different shop charged me a few bucks.

I suppose I should ad it to the $50 mod thread but I have a boatload of stuff to list there and I haven't got around to it yet, that and I would need to buy a star:grinpimp:

Looks good. Can you post a wider view to see the whole window effect?

It's not hard to put in at all. It takes awhile but is not hard. I have the stuff on the windshield as well, it goes around the corners with a bit of coaxing and really helps to seal it up.
All my weather striping is 20 years old. If you put spray silicone on the gaskets (or any rubber for that matter) they are like new and the welting slides right in.

It is dark out here now but I could snap a photo tomorrow.
This is the closest thing I have on my computer.
027_27_1.JPG

nice kevin. let me know if u plan on tackling the window trim on the doors. i talking about the annoying strip at the bottom of the windows attached to the doors.

Ok, so I went out to get a photo and realized that my truck is all dirty again and you can't see anything.
What do you want a photo for anyway? it looks just like every other de-chromed 60, except the weather stripping is sealed.

I regret not attacking the chrome around the windows during the original repaint. Someday soon the doors will be coming off for a tune up.
As you know, you need the ugly chrome bit at the base of the roll up windows, it is part of the weather seal. You can, however, sand the piss out of it (remove the rubber bits) and paint it black, that looks sharp. The other chrome around the frame is not necessary, but the underlying metal will most likely require repainting once it is removed.

Kevin R.

subscribed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom