Public service announcement - Accelerator cable dust boot FJ 62 Pioneer CA-9013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
Had a little scare this AM where my accelerator stuck while I was on the freeway.
While I enjoyed having cruise control for a bit, it was a bit dicey when I pulled off the freeway.

Many FJ62 owners have installed the Pioneer CA-9013 accelerator cable because the factory part in NLA and overall it works really well.

My issue was caused when I took slack out of the cable which put the cable adjust close to the limit, this did not leave enough thread on the bolt to hold the rubber dust shield on. The dust shield got caught in my throttle and held the throttle open.

If you use this cable, leave slack in the line which will leave enough thread on the adjuster to secure the dust boot
OR
Cut out the dust boot.

My mistake, passing along in case it helps others.

accelerator dust boot.jpg

Had a little scare this AM where my accelerator stuck while I was on the freeway.
While I enjoyed having cruise control for a bit, it was a bit dicey when I pulled off the freeway.

Many FJ62 owners have installed the Pioneer CA-9013 accelerator cable because the factory part in NLA and overall it works really well.

My issue was caused when I took slack out of the cable which put the cable adjust close to the limit, this did not leave enough thread on the bolt to hold the rubber dust shield on. The dust shield got caught in my throttle and held the throttle open.

If you use this cable, leave slack in the line which will leave enough thread on the adjuster to secure the dust boot
OR
Cut out the dust boot.

My mistake, passing along in case it helps others.

View attachment 2512408
Yikes! Glad you are ok!

Yikes! Glad you are ok!
Well it certainly put me into sphincter lock for a couple of minutes and I was happy the freeway was somewhat light on traffic.
When that boot lodged under the cable it kept the throttle open but not wide open so it was manageable. The interesting part was getting off the offranmp and stomping on the brake till I could right turn over to a safe place.
Backup plan was shutting the engine off and using the hand brake.
In any case everything turned out fine, quick fix, lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom