Pto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, Any one put a pto winch setup on a 60 I saw the cover and thought that It would be cool to have a old school setup but not shure if it would work, anyone try this or have one on their rig? Also I am trying to find some good D-rings to weld to the front and rear bumpers but don't know where to find some good ones anyone have any idea? Thanks.. Ben

I've got an OEM PTO on my Canadian production BJ60. If interested I can shoot some pictures.

cruiser_guy said:
I've got an OEM PTO on my Canadian production BJ60. If interested I can shoot some pictures.

Do you use the extended front bumper? If I could actually get the stuff for running a PTO winch and use a bumper of my own design, I'd LOVE to do it.

Spook50 said:
Do you use the extended front bumper? If I could actually get the stuff for running a PTO winch and use a bumper of my own design, I'd LOVE to do it.

I used the entire OEM setup, bumper and everything. No reason why you couldn't use your own bumper though. To me, the '60 will drag it's back end anyways so the front bumper sticking out isn't going to cost me much on clearances anyways.

cruiser_guy said:
I used the entire OEM setup, bumper and everything.

Can you post some pics of the bumper setup? I'm all hot to trot to try and figure out a way to go PTO. It's probably more money than I'll be able to spend, but it'd sure be cool...

cruiser_guy said:
I used the entire OEM setup, bumper and everything. No reason why you couldn't use your own bumper though. To me, the '60 will drag it's back end anyways so the front bumper sticking out isn't going to cost me much on clearances anyways.

There are basically 3 types of PTO boxes:

- Forward/neutral/reverse type with push/pull cable
- Forward/neutral/reverse type with solid rod
- Engage/disengage with solid rod

Which type do you have?

Don't have time to do now, but can post some pics after work...

Overlord said:

Which type do you have?

thnaks .. new advice for me. Can you explain it better .. the diferences btwn types ..

Overlord said:

Which type do you have?

Mine is an "Engage/disengage" type with a solid rod. My daughter has a "Forward/neutral/reverse" type with a solid rod. I've NEVER heard of the cable operated one.

Tapage , what you have is a PTO ( Power Take Off ) , bolted to you transfer case as you probably already know but the way they work is-

* shift your transfer case lever into neutral

* engage PTO in " Forward " for pulling your self out of a bog or up a hill or whatever.

* put gearbox in first gear , take your foot of the clutch and you will start winching , but your wheels will not be turning because you you have selected neutral in the transfer.

* the more you accelarate in gear the quicker the winch line speed is , so what you can do if you choose to is rev out first gear ,
shift into second gear , rev it out and shift third you get the picture ,

so if your in 5th gear winching you are FLYING !!! and will probably break something if not rattle to bits and throw the pTO drive shaft because its not balanced !! :crybaby: :crybaby:

so thats how it works in forward .

what happens with some PTO boxes that they also have a reverse position , meaning that you can winch your self down hill in top gear if you like or you can retrieve your winch cable in at a super high speed !!! :eek: :eek:

That type of PTO i described above , has a forward position , neutral position , reverse position.

The other type has a , Forward position , and a Neutral position , No Reverse position !

so to winch forward you still have all your gearbox speeds in your range , but to retrieve your cable or to winch down hill , you only have one speed because you leave the PTO engaged in Forward but you engage reverse in your gearbox ,

so what that means is that you basically have your rev range in reverse to give you your maximum line speed , which is more than enough anyway.

There your two most common PTO setups , how you engage and disengage them is entirely up to you wether its cable or rod.

Hopefully that description helps out .

Cheers
Hey Charger :cheers:

Hey Charger said:
so what that means is that you basically have your rev range in reverse to give you your maximum line speed , which is more than enough anyway.

Hey .. awesome explanation dude .. thanks a lots .. need to ask, in this type above no reverse, I can wincha and leave the t-case lever in 4H or 4L .. for example ..

Did you have pics of this both types to recognize it .. ? I thougt the second tipe is as 89 series PTO winch, you can winch only in one position.

Tapage ,

From what i understand your asking is can you use 4h or 4l to change the gear ratio in reverse , no you can't .

Reason being that the PTO is run of the gear straight on the main shaft out of the gearbox , and wether your in 4H or 4L will not change anything regarding you winch line speed ,
but it will engage your wheels and change that ratio ofcourse ,
the thing is that your wheels and winch line speed is very hard to synchronize,

that is why you select neutral in your transfer so that your wheels dont turn ,

because to synchronize you must ride the clutch and when you ride the clutch not only do you change wheel speed , but you also change winch line speed , so it does take a bit of skill to get that right , so that is why i suggest neutral in the tranfer.
but with expeirience you will get better and will have your wheels engaged in the right situation as well as winching.

Below i have posted a pic of where the PTO gear is driven and it is straight out of the box .
mypic36.jpg

Thanks dude for all info ..

This is my T-case gears ( Marks Underdrive )

casi-lowgears.jpg

I understar the skill level that you must need to operate the traccition on tires and at the same time PTO winch line .. realated to speed. Is not a problem when you are reall y stuck and have no traction on your tires ..

Anycase I thought the better option in PTO is the first, can you select 5 speeds on the line to match it with you tires speed ( traction or not )

Tapage said:
Anycase I thought the better option in PTO is the first, can you select 5 speeds on the line to match it with you tires speed ( traction or not )

The PTO is powered off the tranny output so there is really no way to adjust line speed to vehicle speed other than H4 or L4. When you change gears on the tranny you also change winch line speed.

cruiser_guy said:
The PTO is powered off the tranny output so there is really no way to adjust line speed to vehicle speed other than H4 or L4. When you change gears on the tranny you also change winch line speed.

dam ... !!!!

Is the reazon that I prefer a electric winch .. :cheers:

Tapage ,
i just got some 37" MTR'S , my ratios are 4.11's , small block chev , what im asking is how much better do you think the reduction gears made it and are they worth it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom