Pto Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rebuilt my PTO winch on my 69', can't find any info on what oil to use or how much for that matter.
P1000312.jpg
P1000362.jpg
P1000364.jpg

Nice job!

Here are a couple of pics of the plugs. The top one is where you put the oil in and the one below the center of the drum is the one that tells you when its full.
I used gear oil in ours.
winch 018.jpg
winch 022.jpg

oil

Hi Fallon,

Nice job on the winch. Had one on the 1980 for years and used quite a bit for various jobs Works well for pulling submersible pumps.

I think the FSM calls for 90 weight. It is a pretty non critical application so any oil will probably do. The worm gear set probably creates a bit of high pressure at the teeth mesh so an EP would work best. Most winches are just for show or the just in case moment. If you intend on using it hard the 90 weight with an EP ( extreme pressure) rating will work just fine. Fill it till it comes out of the side plug.

Thanks jb

oil

Hi primer7,

Nice job on the winch. Had one on the 1980 for years and used quite a bit for various jobs Works well for pulling submersible pumps.

I think the FSM calls for 90 weight. It is a pretty non critical application so any oil will probably do. The worm gear set probably creates a bit of high pressure at the teeth mesh so an EP would work best. Most winches are just for show or the just in case moment. If you intend on using it hard the 90 weight with an EP ( extreme pressure) rating will work just fine. Fill it till it comes out of the side plug.

Thanks jb

Hello,
Great photo of your overholded PTO Winch. The silver painted drum is first rate.
Have you found what wt. oil to use in your refill?
I have a FJ40 from 1970 on my Toyota stock FJ40 1970 Land Cruiser. I hope to put
my very basic frist level mech. skills toward rebuilding my PTO stock winch.
Any problems with your project or ideas for my task!.
Thank you - from Michael Archangel

Nice, hope to do a rebuild on mine someday. Did you find the gaskets online or make your own?

P.T.O. oil

90 wt.
Toyota made it simple. if it has gears, it takes 90 weight.
oh, and fill it to the fill plug

Hello,
Great photo of your overholded PTO Winch. The silver painted drum is first rate.
Have you found what wt. oil to use in your refill?
I have a FJ40 from 1970 on my Toyota stock FJ40 1970 Land Cruiser. I hope to put
my very basic frist level mech. skills toward rebuilding my PTO stock winch.
Any problems with your project or ideas for my task!.
Thank you - from Michael Archangel

Real easy to rebuild, had to order the seals from Cruiser Dan, one of the seals took a month or so to come in from Japan. I'm a little A.D.D. so I took lots of photos of the tear down. Don't lose those frame shims. Used 90 weight gear oil. installed 150" of Warn 3/16" steel cable. Order more then one shear pin as well. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom