PTO Winch??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks. I'm trying to fill in the gaps on a PTO winch setup for my '68 FJ40. I have the shifter already in place and it engages the already installed "yoke" on the rear of my t-case. Does anyone have the rest of the stuff that I need to make her complete. If not, can anyone shed some light ie. pictures of what all I need to use my PTO. I currently have a Warn 8274 up front and considered trying to rig up something off of the PTO for a rear winch. Thanks for input/ideas. :beer:

I'm not sure I am following you. I have a front PTO winch setup. The PTO drive comes off the SIDE of the transfer case, not the rear, so I'm not sure what you mean. My drive has a driveshaft flange for front and rear, and there is a front driveshaft that goes forward, hangs off of the front of the frame (pillow block) and goes to the drive flange of the PTO winch, which sits in the front between the bumper and the front crossmember.

There also happens to be a rear PTO drive, which was made for fire trucks (and SOR happens to have one or more available, and which is different from the standard PTO drive.

You have pics? Maybe that'd give us an idea of what you have, and what you are missing.

And, did you shoot anything last fall? :D

That information opens up even more questions... :beer: :beer: :beer:

Here's the deal...I bought this '68 FJ40 about a month ago. It is almost completely stock, (F-eng/3-on-the-tree/interior/etc). The first thing that I did was rip out all of the carpet and trash in the floorboard and clean 'er up a little. I've spent the last 3 wks doing all the basic tune-up stuff and adding a roll-bar, etc, and she's running pretty well at this point.

After figuring out the vaccum shift 4WD setup and getting that all working properly, I started taking a closer look at the "very short" little shifter on the driver's side of the Tranny hump. (This knob does not look like it is "aftermarket", but it is only about 4 inches high with a black round knob/no markings). The cutout in the hump looks like it was done about 20 years ago with a jigsaw....There was also no boot covering the rough hole. When the knob is fully forward it hits the front heater's face. When it is shifted to the rear (only 2 1/2 inches of thravel) a flange on the rear, driver's-side of the T.C. rotates. I've played around with it a little and when I put the Transfer Case in Neutral and the Tranny in 1st gear, if I engage this knob to the rear and release the clutch, the "flange" rotates, if I put the Tranny in Reverse, the "flange" changes direction. I was convinced that this was a PTO setup of some sort, but have been racking my brain to figure out how all of you guys get this to route up front to a PTO winch setup....Apparently, I have some kind of "Rear PTO". Please enlighten if possible, I know that htis is a bit wordy, but I wanted to give you as much info as possible since I don't have a dig. cam. yet. By the way, the "flange" looks like a drive shaft would bolt right to it.

Answer: I shot a rag-horn bull at 17 yds with my bow the last day of the season this past fall... :p

Excellent! I shot an inch over the back :-X of a raghorn with my traditional bow/cedar arrow setup at about 20 yards this fall season. Luckily for the freezer, it was my extra tag that I blew, I already had a spike down the week before (yes, OK, it was with the rifle. 8 weeks hunting with the bow, 15 minutes hunting with the rifle. Sheesh!)

Anyway, your shifter sounds like it is stock in the stock position: pivot should be a bolt off of the tranny cover. Sounds like your PTO drive could either be non-Toyota, or maybe it is only set up for the rear. If I took the front drive flange off of mine, it might look like you describe. Can you get us a picture?

OK, this is what I have. I was a bit confused due to the fact that both the front and rear ends of the PTO Gear box has a flange attachment. Is this gear box only for use with a front mounted winch? It looks like the same connection is on the rear...It would be VERY tight to try and squeeze a drive shaft by the exhaust if going to the front? At any rate, if this is what I have, what all would I need to acquire to use this feature? Thanks.

That's it. You need a PTO winch and a Driveshaft/pillow body etc.

And....
The driveshafts for FJ40s and FJ55s are a different length, so you have to watch out for that.
Aquiring these parts can be a project. They show up on EBay from time to time.

Thanks. Did what I have come stock, or was that an option that most likely was complete at one time and now is slaghtered? Could I attach a driveshaft off of the rear flange?

:beer:If anyone has these parts that I need that they are whilling to part with to a worthy home, let me know ;)

Not sure what you're cooking up? That PTO works front or rear. It is also reversible (very nice). If you're thinking of a rear PTO, make an adapter to go from the Toyota flange to standard joints and shafting and buy a surplus winch for the back.

Here's a scan of an original rear PTO setup (If anyone knows where one is - I really want it for the 25!):
https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5292;start=msg41743#msg41743

Use standard joints and shafting from an Ag supplier:
http://www.neapco.com/pdf/2001ptocatalog637.pdf

Surplus winch:
http://www.adelmans.com/military.htm

You'd have the best of both worlds. 8274 to get yourself up there first. PTO in the rear to spend the rest of the day pulling up the remainder of the group. :D

That's what I'm talking about! So, I can bolt directly to the rear flange using an adapter and then shaft it to the rear bumper where I can attach one of these "surplus" PTO winches....Has anyone done this yet? I'd love to have some juicy pics/diagrams to go by. Has anyone used one of these surplus PTO winches? a 7500#er For $375, how can you go wrong?

Sounds like the way to go. By the way, there are indentations in the drivetrain to allow the PTO driveshaft to go forward. If you eyeball it, you will see. Kinda cool. But as for fitting past exhaust, you have figured out why only the stock exhaust and MAF's 6>1 headers allow the PTO, and other headers preclude things!

I bet you had a front winch system that came as a stock option on your rig, and someone either broke the driveshaft and took it off, or they removed stuff to put on headers or something.

By the way: do you have a hand throttle? You should if there was a PTO on there. Where does yours hook up? There were variations on the hand throttles: under dash to pedal, in dash to pedal, and in dash to carb.

Yep, I have the factory hand throttle knob. It connects directly to the carb. As far as exhaust, I actually still have the stock exhaust manifold on 'er.

Saw you were around, Elk Hunter. Remembered you'd asked about the front PTO setup, and since I was under there on another mission and had the skid plate off, I thought I'd take some pictures of my setup.

Here it is looking forward from the transfer. Notice how the PTO is curved to fit around the exhaust.

Here the front driveshaft goes forward in its groove in the bellhousing splash pan.

And here's the front end of the driveshaft hanging from the pillow block.

Nice, Awesome pics. Thanks for the clarification. So, could you have attached your setup to the back just as you have in the front if you wanted?

Do you have any pics of the front end that illustrates the winch connections?

You can see the rear flange is there on the first picture. I think the only issue on a rear mounted winch would be the length of the driveshaft. I haven't seen the mount setup to know just how it would work.

Here is the front end of the works. It is the UJoint poking through its designated hole. The circular part at the front latches onto the rear of the winch, and you can see the little holes that the shearpin fits through.

My winch is in pieces in the basement in line to be rebuilt and reassembled, so I can't show that. :D

I just rebuilt one and have it sitting in place on a bare frame so I can provide some good pictures if you give me a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom