PTO winch with SM420 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know why a PTO winch won't work with a SM420 adapted to a three spd with plate adapter? I know that the transfer is rotated down a few degrees, but I was looking under a PTO equipped 40 yesterday, I didn't see how that would create any problems. I'd rather not wait until after my 420 is installed and after buying a PTO winch to find out theres no way to make it work. If it just means a little grinding or welding, well worth it. Anyone?

If you use the .750" think adapter between the transmission and transfer case, you do not have a place for the PTO gear to ride, since the output shaft of the 420 is only large enough for the input gear of the transfer case, and not like the factory transmissions, that have an output shaft that passes all the way through the transfer case, permitting the PTO gear to ride on, along with the input gear of the t-case.

plate adapters eliminate the PTO gear in the t-case. Same issue with the SM465. Only option to retain the gear is a AA adapter, ~5" long.

oh yeah, someone mentioned that to me a while ago, and I guess I forgot. Damn that sucks, since I really wanted a PTO winch :( . Anyone tried a Toyota PTO winch with the PTO unit that was available with a 420?

It is possible to have a PTO winch with a SM420 with plate adapter. You just have to ditch the factory gearbox and get one that will bolt into the SM420. I have a buddy who runs one with the factory winch drum but uses a trans driven PTO on his SM420. You can even find reversible ones.

is the same true with an automatic? i have a ramsey pto, putting in a th350, stock transfer case.

I have an AA SM420 adapter for sale if you are interested new in box, does require some dissasembly of 420 to install the new output shaft.
Butch

Thanks for the offer Tex, but I'm already set up to go Space Ghost, can't afford a 5" short d-shaft either. The ramsey PTO should work, because it runs off a box on the rear of the t-case, so its not affected by the transmission, though an auto could screw things up a bit?
The Sm465 I have originally had a PTO on it, to drive the hydraulic pump on a dump truck. The owner would not sell me the PTO unit, but it doesn't matter now since its a 465 and not a 420. I had thought about using an Sm420 PTO, but I'm not sure how those work, and whether or not you still have reverse.
What about getting a custom output shaft machined for the SM420 thats long enough for the stock PTO to work?

GOOD Idea!!!...now you just need to get the shaft made and heat treated properly and you should work from a theretical(sp) point...

i would think for the price you could find a SM420 PTO and go with that with out all the headaches of designing/building/testing/breaking/rebuilding/testing...ect..

Stew

you can't run any kind of t case mounted PTO with the plate style adapters, because there is no shaft going any further into the tcase than the input gear.......
understand?

Butch

yeah but he is talkin about makin a custom output shaft for the SM420...great idea...just cost a bunch to research and do most likely...and it probably wouldn't be a real big hit because most ppl don't run PTO winch anyway...

Stew...pto boy:p

[quote author=milesstarkey link=board=1;threadid=6019;start=msg48021#msg48021 date=1065486247]
is the same true with an automatic? i have a ramsey pto, putting in a th350, stock transfer case.
[/quote]

You would be able to use a Toyota PTO box off the t-case with this set up.

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=6019;start=msg48094#msg48094 date=1065499460]
You would be able to use a Toyota PTO box off the t-case with this set up.
[/quote]

THe Advance kit comes with a new output shaft for the 420 already, getting a new output shaft is many $$$$$
Butch

poser was answering my question about an automatic, not a 420.

Thanks Brian, wonder if AA would sell me just the new output shaft? or since their adapter is not a plate adapter would it not be correct either? Would it be possible to just take in the old Sm420 shaft, tell them I need the same thing x inches longer? I don't know much about machine shops or how they operate. Thanks guys.

You might be able to just get the replacement shaft from AA. I have a really old AA adaptor that is 2.25" long (old style, pre '92) that I got from Mustard Dog. If you can get it, the replacement shaft will work perfect for using a PTO. It may be easier though to just get a PTO that runs off the SM420 though.

Why do you want to run a PTO winch? Do you already have this, or are you getting into one cheap, with everything?

PTO winches are neat and all, but I have needed to use my 8274 when my engine would not run,(read tipped over) for self recovery. We can sit and debate electric vs. mechanical all day, and both sides have amny good points.
But having used and owned both for many years, I prefer the 8274 over my PTO set ups.(77-55, and 72-40).

Just my two cents.

Have a great day.

I gotcha Poser, and an electric is probably more practical, but to me a PTO is just waaaay to damn cool, and I have seen complete PTO's sell for half of a new 8274. I will have to make a compromise, but I can always use my hi-lift and come-along if I'm rolled I would assume. I appreciate the input however, and may not go PTO, but it's one of those things that makes Toyota unique, and I was just wondering why it won't work, because it was making me second guess my SM420 convo since I had been planning on eventually getting a PTO one day. We'll see, thanks for the opinion.

does anyone know who works on ramsey pto's? all the local shops on their website are closed. i'm in iowa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom