PTO Winch Rebuild on a BJ61 (yes i know thats weird) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kon

Threads
i been reading this forum for about a year now, only just signed up tho!
you guys have taught me countless things bout my cruiser, especially this thread. Being an aussie with a japanese imported cruiser, its tough to come by good advice and knowledge...

anyway enough smoke blowing.. :D

i gotta pto winch that is in serious need of a rebuild. she's saved me a few times while on the track but recently i was pullin a mate out of a bog (a building site in middle of suburbia! bloody work utes!) just as his ute got free the shear pin gave an almighty ping and snapped. i cant find a single website/magazine/forum that has any info on shear pins, let alone a rebuild!

it was due for a touch up, there's a few kinks in the cable and just recently locker arm has seized so i felt it was as good a time as any to take it off and fix it.

anybody tried or know of a parts source? any info would be a great help!

There is almost no parts source over here in North America. I'd replace the shear pin and pull the locker arm out and put some antiseize grease on it and replace it and call it done. There is very little need to pull a PTO winch apart. If the cable is kinked use the new winch rope. It's safer.

you can also get oversized shear pins from toyota, i do not have the part number in front of me but you basicly drill out for the new size and insert.

grease her up and way you go...

hmmm, oversize shear pin?
i might look into it... any one know wat the shear pin metal is? could probably make one

cheers beanz, iv got that, aswell as a Max Ellery manual. it was more gaskets, circlips and "replaceable" items i was hoping of finding.

If the cable is kinked use the new winch rope. It's safer.

has anyone used this stuff? any good?

i am not sure but it is very soft metal, you could also find a bolt that fits the hole you have there but i do NOT recommend it. a sheer pin is there for a reason.
cheers

Kon said:
hmmm, oversize shear pin?
i might look into it... any one know wat the shear pin metal is? could probably make one

cheers beanz, iv got that, aswell as a Max Ellery manual. it was more gaskets, circlips and "replaceable" items i was hoping of finding.

has anyone used this stuff? any good?

I have not used it personally however i have been pulled out with it. It's a lot easier to handle and also if it lets go it won't take your head off.

As far as parts are concerned, I doubt you will be able to get them from Toyota, I think they are most likely discontinued. Best bet would be a Winch manufacturer or even a company that manufactures site equipment.

For Gaskets, best bet would be to make them yourself. You can get gasket material from www. frost.co.uk and also many different sizes of circlips. Might just have what you need.

cool
thanks heaps!

i guess ill have to shell out for new cable, but i spose that can wait till its all smooth and rebuilt!

:D

here most people with the factory sheer pin change it for other grade 8 pin and solved .. no mayor issues with this upgrade .. next breack part, cable. :D

Ive been doing a bit of research on this subject as well and noticed on outerlimits4x4 forum that theres talk of being able to replace the shear pin with a "torque limiter". I think this device is something that slips after a certain amount of torque is placed on it...

eg, when you fit it you use a torque wrench to install it (set it to 8000lb) and you can adjust it to be right on 8000lb.

Anyway.. i would like to get this done to mine and I will be taking it to the shop sometime later this week to get looked at (mine is a Thomas PTO)

Does anyone else on here have any info about these torque limiters? The thread I am refering to can be found here: http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54852

Also.. Kon, where abouts are you in australia?

8000LB torque wrench? never seen one that big.........

brisveganbj42 said:
Ive been doing a bit of research on this subject as well and noticed on outerlimits4x4 forum that theres talk of being able to replace the shear pin with a "torque limiter". I think this device is something that slips after a certain amount of torque is placed on it...

eg, when you fit it you use a torque wrench to install it (set it to 8000lb) and you can adjust it to be right on 8000lb.

Anyway.. i would like to get this done to mine and I will be taking it to the shop sometime later this week to get looked at (mine is a Thomas PTO)

Does anyone else on here have any info about these torque limiters? The thread I am refering to can be found here: http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54852

brisveganbj42 said:

"A torque wrench set to 8000 lbs." Is that the 1/2" drive one from Sears?

Here in Finland we have a lot of PTO winsches on cruisers and it's quit common to drill the sharepin hole to 6mm and put a grade 10.8 "bolt" in it. If your front is deep down in the mud how will you change the pin then. "Easier" to fix a broken cable I think :D
And if you are seriously wheeling with a HJ60, you must change the cable from normal 8 mm to 10mm, othervise you'll just brake it.
In Finland they have made test with different winsches and the cruiser PTO winsh pulled 10 000 lb with 6mm sharepin bolt and some high grade cable.
Ofcourse the winsch must be in good condition.

:cheers:

Rebuild parts are still available from Toyota. I'm in the process (2 years :D) of rebuilding a PTO from the actual winch, to the pillow blocks, and the PTO box. All new seals, felt, , bearings, etc. I got the parts directly from Japan via G&S.

Rebuild parts are still available from Toyota. I'm in the process (2 years ) of rebuilding a PTO from the actual winch, to the pillow blocks, and the PTO box. All new seals, felt, , bearings, etc. I got the parts directly from Japan via G&S.

Sounds awesome! i was goin tame compared to that, but any and all lessons learned from that would be really helpful!
G&S? i googled that and couldnt find anything..

honk; im in perth WA.

Kon said:
Sounds awesome! i was goin tame compared to that, but any and all lessons learned from that would be really helpful!
G&S? i googled that and couldnt find anything..

honk; im in perth WA.

It's pretty straight foward if you follow the FSM.

Since PTO's for 60 series were never available in North America, I couldn't the parts directly from the dealer. I had to have someone who has access to Non-US parts. That's were G&S came in. You being from Oz, you shouldn't have any problem.

The reason I’m doing such an extensive rebuild is that since parts for it aren’t easy to come by, doing one big (lots of $$$) rebuild will, hopefully alleviate headaches in the future. IE, not having to order parts down the road that I can’t get quickly.

the PTO was never really an option here, most are aftermarket or on imported models (like mine :D )
i did a bit of googling and it seems just as hard to get these annoying little parts like gaskets, circlips, snap rings etc...
so i reckon most of these will have to be either generic or home-made.

anyone tried making their own gaskets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom