PTO winch parts: help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am finally getting around to looking at installing my PTO winch on my FJ45 SWB. I have had the PTO winch for 10+ years and I think it came off of a FJ55 that I parted out years ago. Anyways, I am apparently missing the flange piece that bolts the shaft to the PTO winch itself.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing and is this piece Toyota specific? Are these able to be sourced?

Thanks.

IMG_20190817_105751.jpg

IMG_20190817_110016.jpg

This is that you need.
48520CDA-6FD0-4676-A2E7-EE6B5BB1B5BE.jpeg

Not readily available.
Have not been able to find a non-Toyota alternative.

@pardion has winches but not sure if he sells parts.

hOOter

What does the rest of the spud shaft with the pillow block bearing look like? The 55 series and 4X series are different. 1/79+ would be close to a 55 series but the SWB 45 ended long time before 79.

So....I actually have two Toyota PTO winches and I am trying to piece together a good usable unit. One is from a 1973 FJ55 that I pulled ages ago and the other is from a HJ61 JDM truck. I already have the split case PTO unit mounted in the FJ45 and now just need to piece the winch and the associated parts and install them on the truck. Unfortunately, the HJ61 suffered front end damage so the winch casing is cracked on one of the mounts. Whatever I don't use on my 45, I will sell off.

I know the 55 PTO winch head unit is good and I have two shafts to work with. I imagine that I will have to modify one of the shafts for it to fit. And, I will need to modify the bull bar that is on the 45.

Pictures attached of what I got and the truck I am hoping to put it on.

IMG_20190817_155129.jpg

IMG_20190817_155211.jpg

IMG_20190817_155400.jpg

IMG_20181201_143719114.jpg

@Grease Cruiser

This is the missing part you need (my only one, not for sale!) at least for an FJ40 arrangement:
1566083575211.png

If you look closely at the very bottom of the yoke, you'll see the hole for the shear pin that attaches the yoke to the worm shaft on the winch.

The FJ40 has the splined shaft facing forward, as shown, with a solid connection of the driveshaft to the carrier bearing, and another splined shaft at the u-joint leaving the PTO unit.

Another heads up: I think that the winch worm shaft and gear for the single direction PTO box has a different thread (left vs. right hand) than the winch for the two direction PTO box. If you use the 'single direction' winch with the single direction PTO box, you'll have four speeds of powered 'wind' and one speed (transmission in reverse) for the 'unwind'.

If you use the earlier model winch designed for the two direction PTO box, you'll have four speeds of powered 'unwind', and only one speed (reverse) for wind.

This shows the FJ40 carrier bearing, which is held below and left of the radiator by the through bolt attached to a clevis on the cross member holding up the radiator.
1566084317625.png

am I seeing things, the winch heads look like mirror images of what they should be. the input is on the wrong side??

the OP needs the bearing that mounts to the support under the radiator, looking at the driveshafts, you have 2 of them and a flange that should bolt up to the winch. i think you have all the pieces you need, you just need to assemble them for your application.

@FJ40 MATT has been know to have some PTO parts.

hOOter
I had two different guys buy all of Pto parts off me. I just have the mounting bar that mounts to the frame, Pto unit with a sheared off drain plug that was filled in, and a Pto drum with the cable on it

@Grease Cruiser

This is the missing part you need (my only one, not for sale!) at least for an FJ40 arrangement:
View attachment 2060787

If you look closely at the very bottom of the yoke, you'll see the hole for the shear pin that attaches the yoke to the worm shaft on the winch.

The FJ40 has the splined shaft facing forward, as shown, with a solid connection of the driveshaft to the carrier bearing, and another splined shaft at the u-joint leaving the PTO unit.

Another heads up: I think that the winch worm shaft and gear for the single direction PTO box has a different thread (left vs. right hand) than the winch for the two direction PTO box. If you use the 'single direction' winch with the single direction PTO box, you'll have four speeds of powered 'wind' and one speed (transmission in reverse) for the 'unwind'.

If you use the earlier model winch designed for the two direction PTO box, you'll have four speeds of powered 'unwind', and only one speed (reverse) for wind.

This shows the FJ40 carrier bearing, which is held below and left of the radiator by the through bolt attached to a clevis on the cross member holding up the radiator.
View attachment 2060798

Thanks for the clarification and for the pics of the part I need: the unobtanium PTO spud shaft.

So if I got this straight, I shouldn't use the split case PTO transfer box with my early (1973 FJ55) winch head unit? How do I know if I have the two direction PTO gear box?

The winch head unit that came with the split case PTO transfer box needs some repair. I might be able to get someone to weld it but it is cast and might be difficult. Is this the better route than using the older 1973 head unit?

3_puppies: the winches look very similar and are almost identical. The drive unit comes in on the LHS. Unfortunately, I don't think I have all the parts to fit either drive shaft to either winch head. I wish I did as I now I am on the hunt for the spud shaft. I may have to look into fabricating something if I can't find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom