PTO winch overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've torn down my factory PTO winch for an overhaul and I'm having trouble getting the support bearing apart. I don't know if that's what it's really called since the Toyota manual gives info on rebuilding the PTO unit and the winch but never mentions the driveshaft that connects the two. The driveshaft goes forward to a u-joint and then a short shaft goes through this support bearing to another u-joint at the winch gear box. The support bearing is inside an aluminum housing so I'm reluctant to beat on it too hard but I can't get the shaft out of this housing. I was sure there would be an article in the IH8mud tech links but no such luck. Can somebody tell me what's going on inside that housing?

The housing you are talking about I think is the Pillowblock. It has a bearing through which the shaft passes, and it is locked in by a woodruff key. Does that help?

1. Be real careful not to break the housing. Soak it for a couple of days with WD-40 or the like. Finding another Pillow block may be next to impossible.

2. Do not follow the breakdown as it is shown in the factory literature as it does not come apart as shown. The shaft removes moving towards the bearing side. You will need to remove the dust seal cover (18), the dust seal (17), metal washer(16), and snap ring(15). The splines of the shaft will pass thru dust cover(11) and dust seal(12). The bearing will remain on the shaft and will need to be removed once seperated from the housing.

3. Make sure you have the replacement parts first so as to not damage parts that may no longer be available. (The metal ring below the dust seal on mine was rusted to the dust seal cover and is no longer available luckily I had an extra one from another pillow block)

Good luck!

Mine looks a little different than the parts breakdown provided in the previous reply. I've attached a picture. The left end of the picture is the winch end. I think I'll have to destroy the dust seal cover to get to the snap ring. Is it safe to assume the dust seals/covers are still available? Thanks for the help.

I believe the drawing I posted (your's did not come out, by the way, Mickey) is for the FJ55, which has a longer forward shaft. It is otherwise the same, and the Winch end is to the left. The Dust cover toward the front is NOT available from SOR (and therefore presumably not from Toyota), the only place I have used for PTO parts. Don't know if anyone else has it, but you might check with CDan if you need it.

I got the picture to work. It seams like there should be some kind of dust seal at the other end of the housing as well but who knows. I got this PTO setup on ebay and I don't know what year it is. I'm trying to add it to a 4-speed that I just bought and noticed when I pulled the cover off the transmission, that it didn't have the necessary drive gear. I think I'll start another post to find out what my next step is. I hope the missing drive gear isn't a dead end.

The PTO gear is in the Transfer case. Hope that is what you meant. They are obtainable.

Yes, there are supposed to be dust covers and filters on both ends. You have to press the forward shaft out of the bearing next, IIRC. (Push to forward or left in your picture) Then the bearing will come out of the Pillow Block casing. (To the rear or right in your picture.) You could also remove the bearing with the shaft in place, as was mentioned. Definitely soak in PB Blaster if it doesn't come out easily.

Thanks for the help. If I can push the shaft out of the case that will make it a lot easier to get the dust cover, seal, snap-ring, & bearing out of the case without tearing things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom