PTO winch on Automatic Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the Landcruiser split-case transfer case & PTO that I am familiar with, it's much the same as a manual. Make sure you know the basics of safe winching as it can be very dangerous. Freespool the cable out, hook it up & re-engage the dog clutch lever at the winch. (you can also drive the cable out with the transmission in reverse once the PTO is engaged but it is slow) Shift gearbox to N, Hi/Lo range lever to N, engage PTO lever in the cab, shift gearbox to 1st, give it a little gas & the winch will spool in. Don't forget to let off the handbrake once the tension is on. If you can, have somebody checking that the cable is spooling on ok or stop frequently & check. You can go to a higher gear for a light pull.

You can also winch & drive but try just the winch first as it's simpler & less chance of a cable snarl up. To winch & drive once the PTO is engaged shift the gearbox back to N & the Hi/lo lever to Low range. Then shift the gearbox to 1. The wheels will drive the truck faster than the winch can pull if they get traction but sometimes you need the wheels driving to steer a bit or roll up over a step.

Cheers
Clint

For the Landcruiser split-case transfer case & PTO that I am familiar with, it's much the same as a manual. Make sure you know the basics of safe winching as it can be very dangerous. Freespool the cable out, hook it up & re-engage the dog clutch lever at the winch. (you can also drive the cable out with the transmission in reverse once the PTO is engaged but it is slow) Shift gearbox to N, Hi/Lo range lever to N, engage PTO lever in the cab, shift gearbox to 1st, give it a little gas & the winch will spool in. Don't forget to let off the handbrake once the tension is on. If you can, have somebody checking that the cable is spooling on ok or stop frequently & check. You can go to a higher gear for a light pull.

You can also winch & drive but try just the winch first as it's simpler & less chance of a cable snarl up. To winch & drive once the PTO is engaged shift the gearbox back to N & the Hi/lo lever to Low range. Then shift the gearbox to 1. The wheels will drive the truck faster than the winch can pull if they get traction but sometimes you need the wheels driving to steer a bit or roll up over a step.

Cheers
Clint
Thanks a lot ❤💪

Some other tips for the winch (maybe you know all this already) but it is highly recommended to run synthetic rope. 10mm diameter minimum. Nicer to handle, safer & much less chance of a tangle on the drum as it doesn't spring out over the side so easily. I run 12mm synthetic rope, can't fit quite so much on the winch but it means the shear pin will always break before the rope. I use a 4mm grade 8.8 cap screw as a shear pin, with that combo & some experience I can feel the load getting too much & go to winch & drive, a better angle or a double line pull, before anything breaks. Keep the revs low while winching & it's easier to notice it loading up. Take plenty of spare shear pins while you are learning & practice changing them in the garage first.

Another important thing is to not totally fill the drum with rope, leave plenty of space & take a couple of extension straps or ropes instead. Then when you are winching off to one side - which is most of the time as the trees are never in exactly the right place - you won't have the rope building up too much on one side & falling outside the drum.

Cheers
Clint

I’m stumped…. i can winch in forward and reverse on my BJ74 auto while the transfer case is in neutral. But when I put the transfer case in low (or h2) the winch no longer turns. This is with the winch lever in the cab in the same position (Back to driver) as it was when the winch was turning.

is it possible that some ptos are set up only to work wit’s the TCase in neutral? I’d like to have wheel assist if I could.

I’m stumped…. i can winch in forward and reverse on my BJ74 auto while the transfer case is in neutral. But when I put the transfer case in low (or h2) the winch no longer turns. This is with the winch lever in the cab in the same position (Back to driver) as it was when the winch was turning.

is it possible that some ptos are set up only to work wit’s the TCase in neutral? I’d like to have wheel assist if I could.

Is yours the standard split-case transfer case? If so the PTO drive comes off the transfer case input shaft which is connected directly to the gearbox output. Hi/N/Lo & 2wd/4wd selection all happens downstream of that so there should be no mechanical way for them to interact. Only thing I can think of is maybe some weird interlock mechanism on the PTO shifter? My current PTO has a custom selector, I don't remember any interlock on my old BJ73 PTO but all sorts of strange stuff turns up on JDM trucks.

Cheers
Clint

Is yours the standard split-case transfer case? If so the PTO drive comes off the transfer case input shaft which is connected directly to the gearbox output. Hi/N/Lo & 2wd/4wd selection all happens downstream of that so there should be no mechanical way for them to interact. Only thing I can think of is maybe some weird interlock mechanism on the PTO shifter? My current PTO has a custom selector, I don't remember any interlock on my old BJ73 PTO but all sorts of strange stuff turns up on JDM trucks.

Cheers
Clint
Yup standard. It was just rebuilt by EBI Cruisers. And my PTO shifter seems “normal”. One button for the finger that allows the top (thumb) button to depress. It engages nice and firm when in neutral/neutral. I’ll give EBI a call and see if they found anything unusual. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a step somewhere first….

thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom