PTO winch compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Ad the title suggests, trying to figure out if a PTO winch I have line of sight on would be compatible with my BJ42.
It was off a FJ45, both have 4 speed gearboxes. Mine has a 3B engine in it. Presume the FJ45 had a 2F.

Any insights would be much appreciated!

different drivelines for different years
different pto's for different years

more info needed

different drivelines for different years
different pto's for different years

more info needed
Thanks - so the years and engines would need to be the same for them to be compatible with one another? I.e. a 70’s 2F PTO won’t work with an 82 BJ42?

Driveshaft routing changed 1/79. Then the PTO change 8/80 with the start of the split transfer case. The shifter style changed 10/82 but that is not a big issue. The PTO is the main thing. The two styles can't be switched.

Here are the three styles used on the 40 series.
IMG_20191229_172509044.jpg

Driveshaft routing changed 1/79. Then the PTO change 8/80 with the start of the split transfer case. The shifter style changed 10/82 but that is not a big issue. The PTO is the main thing. The two styles can't be switched.

Ok thank you - so I would need one off a post 8/80 vehicle then to be compatible with my 82. That is clear, thank you.

While any 8/80+ split transfer case PTO will bolt up the two direction is the one that works with the 40 series PTO winch. Can tell the single direction only has a single gear extending our of the case. On the two direction that is actually a idler gear and both teeth you see are part of the same gear. There is small reverse idler gear inside that is used during cable in. Without it the single direction rotate the opposite direction in forward gears in the transmission. If you are thinking of adding a H55F five speed you would want the 10/82+ two direction PTO. Longer transmission the PTO shift lever on the back would interfere with the torque tube behind the transfer case.

If you do a search PTO winch in the winching and recovery section you will find a lot of information of the changes over the years. 1/79 the routing of the driveshaft changed. 10/82 it changed again to add a second pillow block bearing.

Ok thank you - so I would need one off a post 8/80 vehicle then to be compatible with my 82. That is clear, thank you.

I see your in Australia. If I were you I would be searching for an H55F from a 83/84 BJ42. Was lucky enough to score one from Victoria with help from a member close to the seller. Was also lucky enough to have a 84 HJ47RV end up in a wrecking yard 10 miles away. That one had a factory PTO. Lower one in my previous pic came off that 84. Shifter and driveshaft were intact but the winch itself got destroyed in the accident. That one came from Queensland by some window stickers from some parks in Northeast Queensland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom