PTO Spooling problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The way my cable was spooled on the drum, I could only reel it in when my tranny was in reverse. This was a pain as I couldn't engage my T/C and use my wheels to help pull. It was also slow. I respooled my cable today and the cable now comes in on the bottom of the drum and hits the winch frame, behind the bottom roller. I think this is hard on the cable and maybe on the winch unit.
Any ideas on how to set up the winch so I can reel in the cable using the forward gears?
Thanks
Peter

Your cable was on correctly before. It is supposed to com e in across the top of the drum.

That is, if you have a Toyota PTO winch.
If you've mixed and matched early and late model PTO components this can cause this problem. For example a split case PTO box with "engage/disengage" only (as opposed to "forward/neutral/reverse") on the PTO drive box, combined wiuth an early model winch will produce a backwards winding winch which can only be spooled in with the transmission in reverse.

Mark...

Mark,
Is there an easy way to ID the different components, as early or late. If so what is the dividing line to determine "early" vs "late" year wise? 3sp vs 4sp ect!
eric:cool:

Otterav said:
Mark,
Is there an easy way to ID the different components, as early or late. If so what is the dividing line to determine "early" vs "late" year wise? 3sp vs 4sp ect!
eric:cool:

The dividing point was when Toyota went to the split transfer case in 08/80 and later trucks...

Previous to that, the Land Cruiser in North America had a one piece transfer case, and a PTO box on the transfer case that could be used as 'in' and 'out', opposed to the units that attach to the split case, which are only one direction.

:beer:

I thought that the rear position of the shifter engages the rear PTO flange, and that all pulling in operation was done using the tranny forward gears with the forward PTO shifter position. I drag the cable out manually with the PTO shifter in nuetral/middle position.

The speed of pulling in is controlled by both engine speed and which forward gear is selected. Best torque/pulling in lower gear.

Having used the winch as a necessity all of one time I'm sure that I must be right ;).........:rolleyes:

You don't say what type of PTO winch you have. The Ramsey PTO bolts to the back of the transfer case and I'm not sure that it is a two position PTO. The Toyota bolts to the side of the transfer case and can be switched my moving the lever on the transmission hump forward or backwards of the center neutral position.

John

Living in the Past said:
You don't say what type of PTO winch you have. The Ramsey PTO bolts to the back of the transfer case and I'm not sure that it is a two position PTO. The Toyota bolts to the side of the transfer case and can be switched my moving the lever on the transmission hump forward or backwards of the center neutral position.

John

me? Or are you addressing the question? Mine's a Toyota winch and pto. It's in my 1977 BJ40

honk said:
I thought that the rear position of the shifter engages the rear PTO flange, and that all pulling in operation was done using the tranny forward gears with the forward PTO shifter position. I drag the cable out manually with the PTO shifter in nuetral/middle position.

The speed of pulling in is controlled by both engine speed and which forward gear is selected. Best torque/pulling in lower gear.

You're right about using the gears for picking your speed/strain when winching. But the rearward position of the selector lever is for reversing the drive box. This is very handy for lowering another rig/yourself/whatever down a ledge/incline/bluff or...

The PTO system was also meant to operate things beside the winch and/or to operate winches and other implements off of the rear of the rig. Being able to power in either direction of rotation is important to this.

The rear flange of the drivebox is on the same one piece shaft as the froint flange. They are always solidly connected.

Mark...

Mark & Poser
I've been looking around on the web. Seems to be two types of gearboxes. One has one drive gear extending outside the housing (this is what I have and is just engaged or disengaged) and a box with two drive gears showing. I presume the box with the two gears extending outside the top of the housing has the forward-neutral-reverse and is the one I need to fix the problem I outlined in my first post.
Thanks
Peter

peterb said:
Mark & Poser
I've been looking around on the web. Seems to be two types of gearboxes. One has one drive gear extending outside the housing (this is what I have and is just engaged or disengaged) and a box with two drive gears showing. I presume the box with the two gears extending outside the top of the housing has the forward-neutral-reverse and is the one I need to fix the problem I outlined in my first post.
Thanks
Peter

Post up a couple pics of your PTO box please...

projektdotnet said:
IIRC the TEQ PTO had High and Low gears but I could be wrong.

What are you talking about?

The stock PTO has 8 (or 10) gearing combinations!

Wait, there's more! If you reverse all of the forward gears and forward the reverse gears....the number of permutations is staggering!

You must include each nuetral position s well.

honk said:
You must include each nuetral position s well.

Dang, didn't even think of that! :eek:

IDave said:
Wait, there's more! If you reverse all of the forward gears and forward the reverse gears....the number of permutations is staggering!

Unless you've got a 25..............then it's just forward and reverse. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom