PTO Output (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've tried searching the forums but I haven't been able to find the answer to this question.

How much torque can the pto unit that bolts onto the T-case handle without failing?
I know that there is a shear pin in the system but I'd presume that is mainly to prevent breaking cable.

Thanks.;)

I would imagine that you would break the cable before you hurt the pto unit. The winch has crazy low gear reduction, doesn't it?

I've been contemplating the feasibility of hooking an electric motor to the PTO to build a hybrid. Yes, i know that it's an insane idea. But would the PTO handle it?

What benefit would integrating electrical & mechanical give you? Not trying to be a wise-a**, just not getting the concept.

The shear pin is at the winch itself, not the PTO, it it not?

I've been contemplating the feasibility of hooking an electric motor to the PTO to build a hybrid. Yes, i know that it's an insane idea. But would the PTO handle it?

I would imagine that a ~240ci gasoline engine can deliver more torque than any type of 12V electric motor that you can fit under a 40.

The benefit would be that once cruising speed is reached it the average car can cruise along at 65 mph on level ground with only 15hp (or so i've read). With a few batteries the gas guzzler could be shut off once speed is reached. I daily drive my FJ40 to work and it is close and almost flat most of the way. I'm not quite ready to pull the gas motor and run straight electric though.

Also, electric motors develop most of there torque at very low rpm. Wouldn't you like to add 20, 30, 50 ft/lbs at crawl speeds with the flick of a switch (at idle speeds)? Just a thought.

Yes it would

I would imagine that a ~240ci gasoline engine can deliver more torque than any type of 12V electric motor that you can fit under a 40.

I've got a 350 which gets better economy as my F motor did. I wouldn't mind being able to shut it off 1/2 the time or more. Possibly the best of both worlds.

The benefit would be that once cruising speed is reached it the average car can cruise along at 65 mph on level ground with only 15hp (or so i've read). With a few batteries the gas guzzler could be shut off once speed is reached. I daily drive my FJ40 to work and it is close and almost flat most of the way. I'm not quite ready to pull the gas motor and run straight electric though.

Also, electric motors develop most of there torque at very low rpm. Wouldn't you like to add 20, 30, 50 ft/lbs at crawl speeds with the flick of a switch (at idle speeds)? Just a thought.

I've got a 350 which gets better economy as my F motor did. I wouldn't mind being able to shut it off 1/2 the time or more. Possibly the best of both worlds.

Go for it dude. Attempt to make your 40 a hybrid. Report back with your results and an economic analysis. :steer:

The PTO unit reverse idler gear rides on a cheesy bronze bushing, so you wouldnt have reverse for long. even just idly turning while the truck is moving the bushings wear out.

Reverse Idler gear purpose

The PTO unit reverse idler gear rides on a cheesy bronze bushing, so you wouldnt have reverse for long. even just idly turning while the truck is moving the bushings wear out.

Is this only for reverse? Electric motors will run in both directions. Is there a similar bushing for forward? Could these bushings be replaced with some other type of bering?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance I've never used one or for that matter seen one up close.

I've tried searching the forums but I haven't been able to find the answer to this question.

How much torque can the pto unit that bolts onto the T-case handle without failing?
I know that there is a shear pin in the system but I'd presume that is mainly to prevent breaking cable.

Thanks.;)

I've sheared off the output shaft before (weakest point).

You should be able to look up a material table and see how much torque that took.

When you said "hybrid" it had me thinking only in relation to winching. I never would have thought about making an FJ40 into a hybrid, but that's what makes this forum so interesting, and perhaps my lack of imagination.

I've sheared off the output shaft before (weakest point).

You should be able to look up a material table and see how much torque that took.

Was it the Output shaft you sheared off or the shear pin?

Back of the case?

Is there some form of pto unit that mounts to the back of the case?

How far does the transmission output stick through the transfercase? (been 12 years since I looked at that part)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom