pto or electric (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Id sure like to have some opinions from yall. Ive always ran electric winches but the newest addition has a pto winch on it. What do yall think is better? Or maybe whats the pro's and con's of each. thanks alot.

PTO does not work too well if the engine stalls....

PTO also doesn't work well when the motor can't run cause it's sucking water....

PTO is a poor choice if you are upside down...lol

PTO is a GREAT choice if you are the only winch owner in the group and tend to spend your day dragging everyone else around....

if it already has a PTO, just keep it. If you are going hardcore with the rig, you might think about swapping out.

Most of the time, I mostly use mine to pull me over a log, or out of the mud... actually I mostly use it to pull those who dont have a winch!

Rezarf <><

Forget the PTO. It will give you only pain and heartache. You'll be cursing it every day. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

You need electric.

Also with en electric you can drive forward and pull in with the winch at the same time someone correct me if I'm wrong but the PTO you can only drive or winch not both.

Your PTO also holds more cable than any common electric winch found on a recreational 4x4. (I've got about 225 feet loaded on a couple of OEM PTOs) It will pull all day long without needing a break and without damaging the motor. The recovery speed can be precisely controlled. An "8000 pound" PTO will pull the guts out of an "8000 pound" electric

A PTO is less convienient to use, and generally calls for two people to operate with optimum safety and minimal stress on the winch/cable. While I don't find it to be a big factor (the guys I wheel with are all decently equipped too) a PTO is not much use for self recovery of an overturned rig. Quite often neither is an electric wich either though.
A situation where the engine is dead, and you have to winch the rig forward before you can fix the problem is pretty rare IMHO. And again, that is what your trail partners are far if you do encounter such a situation. You can pull the spark plugs and hit the starter with the clutch engaged to make your PTO act like an electric in this situation too.

I've got rigs with PTOs and rigs with electrics. Both do the job. ;) I'll be installing an electric under the rear of one of my rigs which has a PTO on the front already. Best of both worlds.

A PTO is the way to go if you want controlability, reach, variable speed, long duration pulling capability and all out power. But an electic is, again, a lot more convienient to use and for 99% of the time for 99% of the recreational users is a better answer.

Mark...

Oh, poo, Mark. You sound like an advert for them. Just tell him to send it to me. :D

I had both the PTO and an 8274. The 8274 was on the front of my wheeling truck purely for the convenience factor. IMO much easier to deal with

I thought yall were gonna help un-confuse me, good job! just kiddin, thanks for the input, from what I hear you cant use a pto winch with a saginaw conversion, so that pretty much makes my mind up for me. Are the warn 8274's actually that much better? If you want it dave, it can be bought, but im greedy and a tight wad, lol.

thewatergoblin said:
Are the warn 8274's actually that much better?

Yes they are, hands down, without question.

They are the only electric winch that I would consider installing on a Land Cruiser. They are an investment component, that will be around the rest of your life, and could easily out live your truck.

I have PTO set ups on one of my 40 series and one if my 55's. They are great, and have not ever let me down.

Good luck!

-Steve

You can not use a PTO with the common GM passenger car Saginaw conversion (it also interferes with low mounting most planetary winches too). But that is only one of the reasons not to do that conversion. There are others conversions which (among their other advantages) are PTO friendly.

Personally I'd suggest that you got the 8274 route.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom