PTO/ hydrolic winches Vs. Electric (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
This picture says a thousand words. It made me think of the discussion we had about the pros and cons of the two. Which would you rather have in this situation?
:D

IMG_1617.JPG

It really doesn't matter what kind of winch the second vehicle has. But since the guy in the pic doesn't even have shoes on, safety probably isn't even a thought. ;p

If you're talking about "self" recovery (no other vehicle), then...I'd say he's pretty well SOL if he doesn't have an electric. Most motors won't run too long completely upside down, so.......a Hydraulic or PTO would be of little use to him.

If there's a second vehicle, it doesn't matter what kind of winch.

If the most important use of your winch is self righting. Get an 8274 and an Optima. If you pull the sparkplugs in your gasser and run your engine on the starter, your PTO will act an awful lot like an electric winch. Personally I run a PTO driven hydraulic pump and my diesel will run nearly upside down but I understand that I'll have to ask for help if I turn completely turtle. That's what friends are for.

Steve C said:
How long will an electric winch run with the motor off?
Just about as long as it will with the engine running. It's all battery when you use a winch, the alternator just re-charges the battery. With a 4000 load a 12V 8274 will be using 275 amps. A stock FJ40 alternator puts out 45 amps IIRC.

I'd probably prefer an electric in this particular situation. Assuming that I had a securely mounted gel cell battery anyway. But making a choice of winches based on one specfic and narrow situation is not the most reasonable approach. You could just as easily have picked a pickture of a rin is a situation where you would have been begging for a PTO or a hydraulic. Or a come-along. Or a team of horses. ;)

Another thing to remember is that regardless of the capability of your winch there is no assurance that you will be able to winch yourself upright from a turtled position. An awful lot of terrain, vehicle, rigging and other variables to consider.

Mark...

Trollhole said:
Got another one for you! :flipoff2:

Lot of good that PTO is going to do.

Right! Its way too far off camber for a carbureted gasser to run. If it was a BJ40 he'd have no problems with a PTO.

Seriously, even a Jeep should run in that amount of water.

lowenbrau said:
Right! Its way too far off camber for a carbureted gasser to run. If it was a BJ40 he'd have no problems with a PTO.

Seriously, even a Jeep should run in that amount of water.
As an example of a situation where an electric winch would be better I think it worked.

Why would a PTO/Hydro not be appropriate here. If your rig can't run in water that shallow you'd better leave it at home.

Looks like an example of an inferior rig to me and nothing more.

Mark...

I think the jeep went a little deeper than where it sits now. Look at the back. Looks like he hit a hole and it wad it a little farther before it died. Still sucks. Good thing this cruiser was there to pull him out.:D

11-29-200507;26;21PM.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom