Pto gear cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I remove my factory pto from the t-case is there a cover made for the hole that is left in the tcase from the pto gear?

thanks you guys , @67 no thanks im not looking to trade. @ JohnnyC thanks for the help i wish there was more people on forums that have your kind of motivation to help others

When you buy one make sure you get the right one. I know of three different covers used during the FJ40 years. The rare 61 thru mid 63. The most common one mid 63 thru 7/80. The 8/80 later cover for the split transfer case. While the early one is rare it is also very common for the early three speed transmission and transfer case to have been updated to the later three speed transmission and transfer case. Just may sure you know what you have and you shouldn't have any problem finding a PTO opening cover.

I have the same problem, ironically -- have factory PTO that I will be removing and will be needing the cover. This is coming off the 3-speed, presumably '70 since that is the year of my cruiser, but I also have a 4 speed, year unknown. It sounds like the cover from the 4 speed will most likely bolt up. What are the odds that the PTO will bolt directly up to the 4 speed and/or is there a way to check without tearing into both transfer cases? (I'm trying to keep my focus on getting it painted before I get too wrapped up in reassembly.)

I have the same problem, ironically -- have factory PTO that I will be removing and will be needing the cover. This is coming off the 3-speed, presumably '70 since that is the year of my cruiser, but I also have a 4 speed, year unknown. It sounds like the cover from the 4 speed will most likely bolt up. What are the odds that the PTO will bolt directly up to the 4 speed and/or is there a way to check without tearing into both transfer cases? (I'm trying to keep my focus on getting it painted before I get too wrapped up in reassembly.)

as long as both transfer cases are 1 piece, the PTO and cover will swap. next question would be if the 4 speed transfer case has a PTO drive gear.
there is no real tearing into transfer cases to do this swap, it is all external, as long as the drive gear is in there. the 3 and 4 speed drive gears are not interchangable.

If you can't locate a cover, just make one from some flat alloy plate or steel for that matter.
Use some clear plastic sheet to copy the hole positions or a gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom