PSA: please don't put the wrong size plugs in your 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yet

Threads
Just bought a '96 80 a month or so ago and have been slowly going through it. Solid truck with low miles for an 80 and a few small issues. Thinking I'm going to put forced induction on it, so I decided to have a good look at the compression and fuel systems. Previous owner stated it had new spark plugs..... this is what came out.
Notes_210923_170622_80b.jpg

Notes_210923_170627_2ce.jpg

Two different sized plugs, all seem to be improperly gapped. One of the two longer plugs (#6) was fouled enough it was difficult to get out. The second (#5) was in bad enough shape it broke which caused an afternoon of grief and multiple hardware/auto parts store visits. Not sure if the threads and electrode were that mangled in situ or got that bad during the extraction. Luckily the threads in the head seem fine.... Just goes to show, there's always surprises.

As for the good news all the cylinders were exactly the same 160psi! Which given my 3500 foot elevation I'll accept as good (conversion factors I found would give me about 177 at sea level).

Cheers,
G

It looks like whoever changed the plugs last decided that #5 and #6 were too much of a PITA to bother with. That is pretty weak. Hopefully you don't find any other ugly surprises. The up side is that a tune up (wires, rotor cap, check your timing) will likely result in it running smoother and maybe even a little better gas mileage. Good job getting that broken plug out. Is it back up and running well?

Not yet. Between my daughter's dance class, making dinner, and runs to the store I've been a bit busy. Just managed to chase the plug threads and make sure there was no debris in the cylinder. Tomorrow the new plugs will go in.

A little midnight maintenance and all is well. Seemed like an eternity to clear all the PB blaster and WD-40 out the exhaust that had pooled in the cylinder (probably wasn't that long). Running more smoothly and seems to have a bit more power.... of course that could be my imagination. 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom