For Sale PSA - Not mine: 1997 80-series only 122,000 miles w/ lockers (possible fake 40th Anniversary) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to article on Popular Mechanics, here's a 1997 80-series with just over 122,000 miles and lockers.

If anyone's looking, here's the Ebay listing and info here.

*EDIT* thanks to some other members I've updated the listing title and this description to note it's most likely a fake 40th Anniversary. As always, do your research, check with other members and use Slee's buying guide as reference.

Last edited:
This one was on eBay a couple of weeks back.

Something doesn’t look right.

I haven’t ever seen a white 40th, no idea if they made them or not but I haven’t seen one.

And badging on all the 40th I’ve seen are the black pearl. This one seems to show normal badging.

And the wheels don't have the normal 40th wheels which were the painted inserts.

...and while the leather does look 22 yrs old; the 40ths had a special contrast leather not the solid oak / tan.

Add mentions lockers, I do see the knob in photo, but check the axles to ensure the locker is present (looks like coke can hanging out of the top of the diff cover).

If you are seriously considering this rig I would recommend to message Beno or CruiserDan and they can look in their magical box and determine for sure if this rig has factory lockers, if given the VIN.

Those things aside; rust meter is about to peg out on this one. Even up into the bolts in the engine compartment. Non bueno.

MY $0.02

Last edited:
That rig has been on ebay for months.

It's not a 40th, as they only came in ASP and DEP.

The seller has placed some cheesy repop 40th stickers on the fenders.

40th would have 2 tone leather. Black pearl badges. 3D 40th badge on the fenders. A numbered badge on the center console. And the climate control from the LX450. And 40th floormats, which are long gone from most of them after 20 years. The wheels don't have painted "D"s either. And it's missing the wood veneer on the dash, doors and center console.

The VIN sticker is showing K294, so it did leave the factory with lockers.

That thing is nasty rusty.

$0.02

JT3HJ85J5V0163321

Updated post title and thread description to note this is likely a fake 80-series. As for the rust, checking lockers, etc that'll be left for potential Buyers to look at as I have no affiliation and hey, some people aren't scared of rust.

Rust and lots of it. Paint bubbles on the driver's side. Rear hatch pics were taken with the sun shining into the camera making the pic distorted hiding the rear hatch rust. Drivers side rocker looks to be spray painted white.

Posted this for members looking for a new 80 but it looks like this is a POS - like said, it's not mine and I don't have any affiliation with the Seller.

I'm sure I'm not the only member thinking he's helping other members out posting a vehicle ad that turns out to be no good.

What's the best Mud solution? Delete the post or leave it up for members willing to try their luck?

Thanks.

What are you fretting about?

You posted a linky to an 80 on ebay. The truck was righteously torn apart by Mudders. The VIN is in thread, so it's searchable.

Consider it a public service announcement.

Last edited:
Bumping this just in case anybody is giving even a moment's thought to this truck.
It remains unsold on Ebay. Which is a good thing.
I think the last auction had something like 300 watchers, which is an extraordinary total.

I test drove an 80 series from this guy once, since I live in Philly and he is based just outside of New York City. The dude is as sleezy as used car salesman come, and I don't say that lightly... especially as someone who has personally worked in / around the car sales industry for the last 15 years.

He was advertising an immaculate truck, that was anything but when I got there. I've also seen him seen him advertise "no rust" trucks on several other 80 listings, when the undercarriage was either completely rusty, or they had very clearly had half-assed cover up jobs.

This guy is definitely to be placed in the "buyer-be-ware" column, indefinitely.

Nothing possible about it...and no need to even note the lack of every option that made th 40th trucks unique.

The simple fact that the truck is white is all the proof needed. The 40th trucks only came in emerald and antique sage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom