PSA: Check your fan. Mine grenaded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn it! Jk

Ordered a new one plus a busted big piece of plastic shroud that mounts to back of radiator. $200 in oem parts. Yay!!!!

SNIP
The previous tow in was over 60k miles ago so highly unlikely.

OK, good to know, that long ago should rule that out. Ordinarily, the engine compartment gets a bubble of air and the blades shouldn't hit water so long as things keep moving. But if you're stalling, the water flows in and they will be doing the waterwheel.

That said, the brittleness will not do you any favors in such a situation, so something to think about before diving in to a water crossing if you haven't checked and/or replaced the blade assembly.

This is a really important post to keep in mind when checking the truck over for non-typical failure items that are worth watching. Thanks for informing us.

Damn it! Jk

Ordered a new one plus a busted big piece of plastic shroud that mounts to back of radiator. $200 in oem parts. Yay!!!!

Slacker, could have stepped up to Lexus parts and spent more!

Seen this before on older vehicles not on an 80 though. Unsure if modifying the viscous coupling brings the failure on earlier but, age and heat are most certainly a defining factor. I use all electric and still check the blades for cracks ect.

Regards

Dave

https://m.autozone.com/cooling-heat...diator/duralast-radiator/352737_233208_0?aqs=

Quickest thing that would get to me and work with the 3FE. Bummed it’s a plastic tank but oh well.

They're just showing me a generic pic. Is it supposedly "duralast" brand (just an autozone catch-all name, I think)?

What I'm really curious about is whether it's an aluminum one-row. If so, I'd be VERY interested in how well it's cooling; I don't know of anyone here who's gone with one of those yet.

EDIT: Please do reply with as much info as you can about the brand and configuration of the rad. There is currently NO recommended, go to replacement for the 3FE, so you'd be doing us all a big service by letting us know if you've found a viable option.

Last edited:
i just replaced mine with new OEM shroud, clutch and new 15k fluid and never crossed my mind about replacing the fan itself....hmmm
back to the drawing board

They're just showing me a generic pic. Is it supposedly "duralast" brand (just an autozone catch-all name, I think)?

What I'm really curious about is whether it's an aluminum one-row. If so, I'd be VERY interested in how well it's cooling; I don't know of anyone here who's gone with one of those yet.

EDIT: Please do reply with as much info as you can about the brand and configuration of the rad. There is currently NO recommended, go to replacement for the 3FE, so you'd be doing us all a big service by letting us know if you've found a viable option.

This is the radiator I have in my 1992. The previous CSF lasted 8ish years before it started leaking. The OEM last 17 years before it crapped out.

Is it great? Don’t think so. Is it plastic? No. All metal. Fits well. Keeps it cool. If it fails in 8 years I’ll buy another.

FWIW, I ordered mine through the local Toyota dealer. Paid $350. Picked it up the next day. Box was damaged. They sent it back. Got another the next day.

B9E85174-9992-41CF-BB98-B0F70984682A.png

This is the radiator I have in my 1992. The previous CSF lasted 8ish years before it started leaking. The OEM last 17 years before it crapped out.

Is it great? Don’t think so. Is it plastic? No. All metal. Fits well. Keeps it cool. If it fails in 8 years I’ll buy another.

FWIW, I ordered mine through the local Toyota dealer. Paid $350. Picked it up the next day. Box was damaged. They sent it back. Got another the next day.

View attachment 1767956
That is what i have currently in replacement to my OEM unit which lasted 218k before it grenaded during a trip to Sedona. It cools well and fitment was good. With a good dealing fan shroud and clutch with 15k fluid, it is right at 180-185 in stop and go traffic w/o AC, 190-195 w/ AC.

View attachment 1767956

CSF's are hit and miss. Some leak right out of the box or after only a year or two, some don't cool sufficiently. (Plenty of documented cases here, including me.)

I realize it's what many folks are going with, but I certainly wouldn't call it "go-to" or "recommended".

CSF's are hit and miss. Some leak right out of the box or after only a year or two, some don't cool sufficiently. (Plenty of documented cases here, including me.)

I realize it's what many folks are going with, but I certainly wouldn't call it "go-to" or "recommended".

I haven’t had issues. And you don’t exactly have many options for the 3FE...

Which is EXACTLY why I'm hoping the OP will provide more info about the one he got.

Once I get back in town and unpacked I’ll look at it a little closer. I didn’t care to spend any time looking at it. Just put it in as fast as possible

i have been searching and found a site that sells 4 types of radiator for our 3FE...
  • full metal brass radiator similar to CFS unit
  • OE replacment type alum. plastic end tanks
  • full alum. 2 core
  • full alum. 3 core
I am tempting to pickup a 2 core and drop it in and see if there are temp. drop difference from going from metal brass to 2 roll alum. unit.

Also i contacted Ron Davis custom alum. radiator for our application and he also makes one for us, but price is steep, Part Number 1-4516407, $1069 plus shipping.....too rich for my blood..
Jq4Lytm.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this. My fan and clutch is on the garage floor right now - perfect timing.

i have been searching and found a site that sells 4 types of radiator for our 3FE...
  • full metal brass radiator similar to CFS unit
  • OE replacment type alum. plastic end tanks
  • full alum. 2 core
  • full alum. 3 core
I am tempting to pickup a 2 core and drop it in and see if there are temp. drop difference from going from metal brass to 2 roll alum. unit.

Also i contacted Ron Davis custom alum. radiator for our application and he also makes one for us, but price is steep, Part Number 1-4516407, $1069 plus shipping.....too rich for my blood..
Jq4Lytm.jpg

Thanks for the research; what site is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom