PSA, Check your A/C's Evaporator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently thought it might be a good idea to give my evaporator a nice cleaning since it's hot as hell where I live and a better functioning A/C is always a good thing. I used one of those can/hose combos that you can get off amazon, did the process, felt colder air afterwards and thought I was in tip top shape. Well, a few weeks later I decided to replace the gasket that stops the water drip on my wife's feet after all these years. In the process, you have to remove the cover for the condenser. I was not prepared for what I found considering how well I THOUGHT my A/C was working and considering I had just done the "clean".

1603384886088.png

1603385047968.png

1603385062836.png

1603385080684.png

The entire evaporator was completely covered in this "film" of old dirt and god knows what else. I had some long skinny wire brushes in a rifle/shotgun cleaning kit and was able to get all of that removed and cleaned off the fins. My LC did not come with cabin filters, I think we can see the downside to that design decision now, 19 years of crap building up and I wouldn't even say my A/C wasn't performing well. It's ridiculously cold now, so if yours is struggling, take a look inside this cover.

I recently thought it might be a good idea to give my evaporator a nice cleaning since it's hot as hell where I live and a better functioning A/C is always a good thing. I used one of those can/hose combos that you can get off amazon, did the process, felt colder air afterwards and thought I was in tip top shape. Well, a few weeks later I decided to replace the gasket that stops the water drip on my wife's feet after all these years. In the process, you have to remove the cover for the condenser. I was not prepared for what I found considering how well I THOUGHT my A/C was working and considering I had just done the "clean".

View attachment 2472999
View attachment 2473000
View attachment 2473002
View attachment 2473003

The entire evaporator was completely covered in this "film" of old dirt and god knows what else. I had some long skinny wire brushes in a rifle/shotgun cleaning kit and was able to get all of that removed and cleaned off the fins. My LC did not come with cabin filters, I think we can see the downside to that design decision now, 19 years of crap building up and I wouldn't even say my A/C wasn't performing well. It's ridiculously cold now, so if yours is struggling, take a look inside this cover.

You should do the filter upgrade/install. Mine had a "natural" filter in it.

AC 6.jpg

Best place for filters? I just checked mine it had a lot of loose leaves in it. Put a bead of silicone where the gasket was supposed to be.

View attachment 2472999
View attachment 2473000
View attachment 2473002
View attachment 2473003

Email me at classy.jalopy@gmail.com. I can sell you an LX version cover to the Evap box with a door for installing filters. That way you can just replace the filters and have much nicer, cleaner air!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom