1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS & tranny cooler hose diameter?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cruiserman, Oct 4, 2003.

1. cruiserman

cruiserman

What size diameter hose is used for the power steering return lines and the tranny cooler lines? I got some bulk 3/8" hose, and it's a little too small.

2. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I had my PS hose (return line) off a few days ago and it was quite tight when I went to put it back on. Could it be just a very tight fit with new line (mine's 10 years old)? Put a micrometer on the PS reservoir's return line nipple.

IdahoDoug

3. instigator

instigator

replaced my cooler lines w/ aeroquip push-on 3/8 hose. part. fc-332-6. the cooler lines from the tranny look larger and they are, but are reduced in size at the ends for the hose. i hope this helps

4. cruiserman

cruiserman

Thanks. At least I know 3/8" will work.

For those with a '93 factory repair manual, be advised that the manual shows a '91/'92 slipper style pump instead of the 1fzfe, vane style pump. The Gregory's manual covers the correct pump. There are a few other anomolies in the '93 manual. It's best to get the '94 manual.

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Agreed,

The 93 manual also omits the FF rear axle and the lockers. There was a correction published to address the power steering omission but not the rear axle or the diff lock or rear disc brake stuff. The 93 EWD shows every thing correctly. I recommend that 93 owners get the 94 book and a 93 EWD.

D-

6. cruiserman

cruiserman

Yes. I photocopied the rear axle section from the local dealer before doing the rear axle seals and e-brake.

What is EWD?

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Electrical Wiring Diagram. More detailed than the FSM and in color.

8. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Cruiserdan and Cruiserman - heh. Hey C-Dan how do we obtain the '93 updates? I assume these are not "from the goodness of our hearts 'cause we screwed up when we sold you that partly done '93 manual" pubs, eh? I have the '93 manual and like C-Man I've copied the local dealer's rr axle section. Happen to know if there is a list of updated pubs for the '93 FSM and how much? Wish I'd bought a '94 FSM as well..

IdahoDoug

9. cruiserman

cruiserman

After much gnashing of teeth, I put the PS pump back together and got the 3/8" hose installed on the reservoir. The pump internals were pristine, and it didn't need a rebuild. Oh well.

10. landtoy80

landtoy80

Not all 3/8 hose are the same size. Napa was about 2mm smaller than the stuff Carquest sells. I couldn't find my post about the return line hose brand that works but the Carquest slipped right on. The Napa stuff would only go on 1/4 of the way and get stuck.

11. cruiserman

cruiserman

Carquest typically sells Gates stuff. NAPA and CSK sell lower grade hose. I may get some Carquest hose for the tranny cooler lines.