PS Pump removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi-
The power steering pump on the 2F in my FJ 60 seems to have been leaking for a while, and has been neglected. The pulley was visibly vibrating when the engine was running, and it seems to be stripped.

I have searched for information on removing the Power Steering pump on the 2F in my 87 FJ60, and I found a few good threads.

My issue is that the pulley is spinning freely, and loosening the nut in front of the pulley doesn't seem to have any effect. Holding tension on the pulley while unscrewing the bolt on the front doesn't seem to work. Can anyone give me any suggestions for removing the pulley, so that I can get to the bolts that hold the pump in place?

Thanks-
mw

I had to use an impact, and couple some flexible socket extensions to get it in there. Not the right way I'm sure, bought I got it off eventually.

Seems like the 'key' (between shaft & wheel) has sheared . . .

Possibley taking pump and bracket out may give you access to shaft behind wheel....

You'll need to loosen braket up a bunch anyway, so removing pump & bracket isn't that much more work....

Have fun,

Pete

Last edited:
There is no point in being nice w/ the pulley, as it is junk now.

Pulley is a press fit on the pump shaft. There is also a woodruff key to prevent the pulley from turning on the shaft.

The woodruff key is ground up in there, the pulley bore is hogged out from spinning on the shaft, and the shaft is scored up from the spinning pulley and crumbled key.

IOW, goto the dealer and order:
-new pulley
-woodruff key
-nut
-lockwasher
-flatwasher

If the pulley is in the way of removing the pump from the bracket, then chop up the pulley to access the mounting bolts.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do.

-mw

I didn't think you needed to remove the pulley to remove the pump.

I used ratcheting box end wrenches and worked fine.

Isn't there a long bolt that doesn't come out unless pulley is removed?

I had great luck pulling the whole bracket holding the PS pump, then taking the pump off the bracket, replacing pump (then there is no issue with the back bolt against the manifold) then putting the bracket back on (4 easy bolts, 3 on the side of the motor and one in front)

oh...pulling the whole shebang, I was referring to pulling pump without bracket. But next time I have to pull mine I agree that pulling the whole deal with bracket is probably less stress.

After spending too much time on it, someone suggested to me a strap wrench. Picked one up at Lowes and it took 10 seconds with it. You can use the strap wrench to hold the pulley while you loosen the bolt.
Good luck

Strapwrench is an excellent suggestion for holding or turning the pulleys on the front of the engine.

Holding the pulley is not the issue in this particular case. The pulley is spinning on the shaft. The nut is stuck on the shaft. What is needed is a way to hold the shaft, but it is pretty well covered up by the pulley.

A good 3/8" impact gun would knock the nut off there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom