PS pump rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding my PS pump. I am having difficulty removing the 17mm drive gear nut which is holding the gear drive that mounts inside engine block. The problem is trying to fix the gear so I can remove the 12 point nut. I made a wood clamp that hold the gear diameter but still slipping when applying force via socket wrench. I am assuming to unscrew its counter-clockwise…correct? Next thing to is impact it off, is this a good idea? Any suggestions

Thanks
Chris

Rattle wrench.

CDan, you talkin' impact socket right? Never heard of a "rattle wrench"

Hmmm,

Well yes, a "rattle wrench" is an impact wrench, usually air powered. An "impact socket" would be the appropriate scocket style for use on a "rattle wrench".

This tool should not be confused with a "hot wrench" (torch) or a "gas axe" (chainsaw).

Sorry, Iv'e been in the car business too long and I get lost in the slang sometimes. :p

Use a vice with wood pieces to hold the gear, and loosen the nut with a breaker bar. Use a quick motion to apply the torque.

Im lazy.
I grabbed the back side of the pulley with some vice grips and gave it hell. worked like a charm. of course this was on the 3fe so might be different for you.
Dave

There is no pulley on a 1fzfe, gear-driven, power steering pump.

I brought it in to work and used an impact wrench held the gear with some work gloves. Curiuos to know how to torque the nut back on at 54 ft.lbs, some type of wood clamp will have to do.
Thanks for the input.

Chris

Gotta love the 3Fe for simplicity.
Dave

IMO the 80 pump is no more complex, and it's quite easy to remove. Less clutter in front of the motor ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom