PS pump rebuild-noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so o followed the FAQ to rebuild the PS pump on my 97 lx450. The only issue I had before o started was that it was leaking from the back end.

I ordered the rebuild kit and off I went.

I had a buddy help tear it down and it seemed pretty easy. We changed every gasket and snap ring except the bearing and the snap ring holding it on.

I cleaned everything with brake clean to get junk out. Putting it back in was tough. I had to remove the bottom stud to get it to seat.

All buttoned up and the engine makes a whining noise like a bad sound system.

I did burp the system. No noise when turning the wheel but a terrible whine like a turbo the rest of the time.

Any ideas?

Okay so o followed the FAQ to rebuild the PS pump on my 97 lx450. The only issue I had before o started was that it was leaking from the back end.

I ordered the rebuild kit and off I went.

I had a buddy help tear it down and it seemed pretty easy. We changed every gasket and snap ring except the bearing and the snap ring holding it on.

I cleaned everything with brake clean to get junk out. Putting it back in was tough. I had to remove the bottom stud to get it to seat.

All buttoned up and the engine makes a whining noise like a bad sound system.

I did burp the system. No noise when turning the wheel but a terrible whine like a turbo the rest of the time.

Any ideas?

EDDD1341-E3A7-4226-895C-ED44B66FCC99.jpeg

Did you torque the gear retaining nut down to spec? (54 ft. lbs)

No damage to the gear teeth removing or installing it?

Rotor vanes replaced correctly? (rounded portion outboard)

ALL seals in kit used and in proper locations?

Did you change belts while you were at it? And if so did you put on a clogged belt? Ask me why I'm asking.

Thanks guys.

Yes it is pressed and torqued down to spec. I even measured the distance of the gear to the pump before and after with a caliper.

There is no damage to the gear from the change.

All of the rotors are placed with the rounded side out.

I did also bleed the system with the tires off the ground.

This noise is not the normal whine when turning the wheel. It never goes away. Instead it follows the RPMs of the engine. So either it is the gear or something spinning inside of the pump creating the noise.

Someone asked about the belts. I didn’t Change belts. I’m fact I have removed this pump twice and started the rig without a pump installed and no noise. It is def within the pump. Or the gear.

The only thing I can think of is that I am not aligned correctly with the gear inside the timing cover. (This is the same gear that runs the oil pump that leaks up front.)

In fact here is a shot of that gear. Is it worn?

I ordered a cheap pump from Ebay but I am still second guessing myself.

61BCBB68-09F4-439B-8C97-740CA6532723.jpeg

I asked about the belt because if the belt is cogged rather than smooth it makes a loud pump whine noise as the cogs ride over the metal idler (which is also right next to the pump). My truck currently sounds like a 200hp hydraulic pump from 10 feet away because I have not put the factory style smooth belts on yet and am getting to like the noise.

So the belt removal procedure proves nothing if this is the case.

But I see now that you didn't replace them so the whine would have been there before.

For anyone that reads this or comes across this thread. I got it.

When reinstalling the pump. I had the high pressure hose on. It wants to sit up against the gearbox which was just enough so that I could push it on the studs. This I was removing the bottom stud and putting it back on.

While it appeared lined up. It wasn’t. (I didn’t have to force it, but it was off maybe 1-2mm at the most.

Tonight I put it back on without the high pressure hose on and it popped on without removing the stud. I knew it was gonna work so I rushed through tossing it all back together. And boom. Noise gone. Burped it and drove it. So far so good. Will see if I have any leaks in the AM.

@Tinkertoy

Thanks for providing the solution, so many of this kind of threads are left hanging. Glad you were able to get it working!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom