PS pump pulley change, opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll put a previous question another way:

Does anybody think it's possible to find an AFTERMARKET, like from an industrial supply-house, pulley for my 3FE pump that has less "dish" than my stock pulley?

I'd like to pursue this path first rather than committing to a Sag pump and mount.

The other thought is that maybe a different 60-series PS pump already has a more "flatter" profile pulley that directly swap to the 3FE pump. I'll post that question in the 60 forum.

Hit the junkyards. I seem to remember a bunch of early 80's toyota had varying pulley depths, and tended to have narrower grooves... I found one that allowed me to use a 3FE pump and mount on a 74 Fmotor and have almost perfect belt alignment if that is what you are wondering(used the small forward grooves in the pulleys. I cannot recall exactly what it was off, but I seem to remember it was the small I-6 in early 80's toyota stationwagons.

Yep, that's what I'm getting at, pulley alignment. I want to pursue what you attained with the 3FE pump, but I just discovered that my '71 with a 1-pulley crank harmonic balancer won't work; I need to swap out the crank pulley to a 2-pulley setup.

So the PS shafts on Toyota's were/are a universal size?

Assuming I can do that, there are NO junkyards here in the east with early model cars I can pick thru, I'm going to have to rely on Ebay, or the aforementioned aftermarket supply shops.

That's one of the many things I miss about the west coast, the awesome junkyards!

I didn't know you had a single belt crank pulley. I knew that would not work with the 3FE pump. It alignes to the second or third pulley groove (can't remember which). Willa sag pump help? The brackets everyone has for those may also put the pulley at the second slot.

Sounds to me like your options are: New crank pulley, new fan; custom bracket to move the pump back; or unidentified saucer pulley. Isn't the first option the best? It gives you a new groove for other stuff also. I have no idea if the 2F crank pulley and fan will fit the F.

It doesn't matter really what kind of pump I opted for; the conventional wisdom is that I need a dedicated crank pulley. Plus, I STILL like the idea of the 3FE pump; I don't need to buy any brackets, it's Toyota, and I like the idea of the factory lines.

65swb45 has a possible solution, a machined bolt-on crank pulley. I'm going to contact him today. Then the only issue is the pulley on the pump, and I think I can find a replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom