PS Pump or Steering Box Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If the wheel becomes hard to turn at times (like in a parking lot or when off-roading) is that typically the power steering pump dying or more likely the gearbox?

I see no PS leaks though and there is no whine

Rig has close to 300 k miles and I don't know much about previous maintenance history.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Flush the fluid first and make sure it's the correct level. If that doesn't fix it, it is probably the pump but could be the gearbox. I would start with the pump. Good time to replace all the hoses and put in an aftermarket oil cooler to replace the paperclip cooler.

If you have no power steering pump symptoms (leaks, wine, etc.), I'd look at the steering linkages and knuckle joints. I think you'll find worn bushings somewhere.

Flush the fluid first and make sure it's the correct level. If that doesn't fix it, it is probably the pump but could be the gearbox. I would start with the pump. Good time to replace all the hoses and put in an aftermarket oil cooler to replace the paperclip cooler.
Fluid is at right level. Aftermarket cooler is in

I replaced my pump when I rebuilt the engine at 250k. It wasn't that noisy and I didn't really notice a lack of assist. After I replaced it is when I noticed how weak it was and how much quieter my new one is. Things wear out over time. Even if your pump isn't the whole problem, you should do it just because of age.
Intermittent power issues normally point at dirty fluid. With dirty fluid the assist will get better as it warms up. For some reason, no one ever changes power steering fluid. Too bad they don't have a filter. All the crap grinds away at your pump. If the previous owners didn't change fluid, your pump wears out quicker. Also in your reservoir, there's a strainer screen. If that gets clogged with crap, it can tear and drop metal into your pump. There's a few threads on here talking about it. Unfortunately, I don't have them bookmarked for you.

Fluid is at right level. Aftermarket cooler is in

If you updated your profile signature with the details of your vehicle including the model year or including that info in your post you might get more and better responses. Using the signature includes that info automatically on every post you make.

As an example the 3FE 91-92 models use a belt driven power steering pump and the 1FZ-FE 93-97 models use a gear driven pump. If you have a 3FE it could be as simple as a slipping belt.

If you updated your profile signature with the details of your vehicle including the model year or including that info in your post you might get more and better responses. Using the signature includes that info automatically on every post you make.

As an example the 3FE 91-92 models use a belt driven power steering pump and the 1FZ-FE 93-97 models use a gear driven pump. If you have a 3FE it could be as simple as a slipping belt.
Thanks. Will do

96 LC. 1fzfe

+1 flush...by way of new hi/low pressure hoses and the pump if no history hereto.
Leaves only the box if issue remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom