PS issues / SBC v-8 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok...I'm on a roll.....

86 FJ60, with 5.7 Vortec, brand new "rebuilt" GM PS pump. A few months ago I was up in TN with the guys at the COVE and my p/s pump started to howl.. So I get home and after working on some other stuff my friend swaps old pump out for new and noise goes away..

In two wheel drive not that big of an issue...in four wheel drive the pump is making some noise at hard left or right turn. I'm running 33 inch tires.

I'm beginnign to think the problem is in the steering gear (its rebuild from a crappy source).. I don't have ram assist either.

Its it reasonable to expect stock p/s pump on 5.7 vortec to power these tires around...seems like a lot of guys run bigger tires that this without issue.

Maybe its time to send gear off to WTO (west tx offroad) for a good rebuild.

I know on my pickup it basically has tires the same size and moves those around all day without whinning.

I would like to have ram assist but I would have to get someone to fab that up and install for me.

What are you other guys running who hit the trails in your 60 and SBC v-8?

I run 35s and it turns them without issue even in the rocks. It will actually move the vehicle's weight when pinned in. I'm not really hardcore into rocks or even that interested in crawling so I don't do it often but the few times I do I don't have any issue other than a leaky gear box. I need to get mine off for a rebuild as well. Mine leaked before so with the added pressure of the gm pump it leaks more. it still doesn't drip normally, only when i'm trying to climb something.

I'm thinking the steering gear is contributing to the P/S pump issues...since it is basically the only other major component. I just hate having to pull it and being down again. I may pull the gear after next weekend after talking with WTO to see what their turn around time is.

The gear I have is a rebuilt job and so I suspect it as being a problem, allthough I've not see fluid leakage.

I dont think with your set-up has an internal weakness. It should be able to work all day. I'm thinking two things. Make sure that you have all the air out of the system. More likely, you need a rebuild- these things do wear out. I dont do much trail running, but I use the stock steering pump and haven't had any problems with it after I put a rebuilt pump in a while back.

Most likely you just have a tired old pump. Get a new or rebuilt one from a reliable source, run a synthetic ATF through a cooler and a filter. The Toyota box is very stout.

its a "GM rebuilt ps pump" its brand new, just put it on about two week ago, I have a cooler inline and its mounted in front of the radaitor / passenger side so it its in teh air flow. SOme of the reubilt crap is "crap"... napa reubuilt before that, and it was junk from day one. I may just get the new pump from rock auto (I'll swap out the resivor). Not have good luck with any rebult stuff.

Cooler is nice...I went a little overboard and bought a stacked plate type desigin from Eearls.. its a far better cooler than I had before.

advance auto rebuilt ps pump solved the issue for now. FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom